Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM-based Home Security System (Alert is via SMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuka_2

Greetings to you all.

I am planning to design a Home Security System (HSS). The system is supposed to automatically send an SMS to the owner of the house when there is a security breach.
The HSS should send one of or any combination of the three possible SMSs (depending on what the breach is).

Please how I make the HSS to achieve this using an 8051 microcontroller.

Thanks for your help.

you need a gsm module.

Sierra wireless sells the fastrax, it's based on openAT. i used it a lot. you just need a simple serial interface between the 8051 and the GSM module.

plenty of code examples to implement GSM sending on the module side from Sierra wireless !

Sorry it's not fastrax.. they change those things's name every couple days...

here it is **broken link removed** it's a module.

I've used the GE863, GE864 and GE865 from Telit. If I were starting again I might well use the GL865, as it should be far easier to solder and unsolder than the GW86? products, and is much the same price.

You can send any text message with any of them, but you have to get the microcontroller to compose the message. The format of commands is shown in this data sheet. The basic commands are the same for all makes of GSM modules.

I've used the GE863, GE864 and GE865 from Telit. If I were starting again I might well use the GL865, as it should be far easier to solder and unsolder than the GW86? products, and is much the same price.

You can send any text message with any of them, but you have to get the microcontroller to compose the message. The format of commands is shown in this data sheet. The basic commands are the same for all makes of GSM modules.

Thanks. Please can this GSM module send up to 5 different SMSs to a pre-registered phone number? Also does it support message resending when an attempt to send an SMS fails?
Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Usually this part is left to you - the programmer/designer.
If you can send 1 sms, you can send 5 of them of course (even if don't know that specific GL865 module) :)
As for detecting if the SMS sending failed. well, you can rarely have 100% assurance. Sometime sending will fail and you will get a notice. Some time sending will succeed but the receiver wont get it. The only secure way is to use TCP and send and send a query to some server. I have done similar security device for some industry and at the end i totally put aside the SMS option and i felt it was not reliable enough.

Alright.
If I want to remotely communicate with the HSS through voice call (by send a code in the form of DTMF), can I still do it with this GSM module?

Alright.
If I want to remotely communicate with the HSS through voice call (by send a code in the form of DTMF), can I still do it with this GSM module?

I think so. There is an embedded DTMF decoder in the Telit modules.

You might be better to configure with texts. The Telit module can, of course, receive texts and a suitable programme in the microprocessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back