Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding 5v or 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I want to have a 5v or 12v output on my car project that when grounded I can detect it and not burn anything out, I have a PIC MCU for the logic side whats the simplest way?

Thanks

Scarr said:
Hi,
I want to have a 5v or 12v output on my car project that when grounded I can detect it and not burn anything out, I have a PIC MCU for the logic side whats the simplest way?

Thanks

How much current do you need to be able to draw from it?, the simplest way would be a series resistor - but it would also have the worst performance. Simple current limited voltage regulators (like the 7805) would make 1A available, but you couldn't use a 7812 for 12V (not enough input voltage).

Umm... you mean that if your 5v or 12v line touches ground you want it to shut off? Just put a fuse on it.. or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back