Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtm038

Hello,
I'm working on a project with my car and have a question about "grounds".

On my 2006 Ford, each of the (5) doors has a switch in the latch assembly that when the door is closed, provides a "ground" path to the vehicle security module. The vehicle security module monitors these ground paths. If the module "sees" ground, it "knows" that that particular door is closed. When any of the doors are opened, the contacts within the latch switch open and the ground path is lost. The vehicle security module "sees" this change in status for this particular door and now "knows" that the door is open and in turn, turns on the interior lights.

Now, what I'm looking to do is use these (5) ground paths to control the main ground path of a relay coil. Basically the circuit would work like so:

1. All doors closed: relay coil will energize when 12+vdc is applied to its coil
2. One or more doors open: relay coil will NOT energize when 12+vdc is applied to its coil.

Is this type of circuit possible?

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:
By the way the quotation mark was never meant to be used in such a manner. =)
I'm sure your dash has a door open light most cars do, you could feed that signal into a couple logic gates which would drive a relay.

Last edited:
Certainly do not connect a relay coil directly to that door plunger switched ground as it will most likely "tell" the computer that the door is always open.

By the way the quotation mark was never meant to be used in such a manner. =)
I'm sure your dash has a door open light most cars do, you could feed that signal into a couple logic gates which would drive a relay.

Ok, I'll look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back