Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Great Mouser story

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaslonghorn

No doubt most of us here have ordered from Mouser. I wanted to tell a positive story that happened to me earlier this week. I ordered a number of transistors from them, expecting that a few would be outside my desired tolerance. Quite normal. But one came in well below the manufacturer's minimum gain, and another was well below the others, although within manufacturer spec. One email to Mouser resulted in 2 new parts being sent to me free of charge. I offered to return the bad parts to them, but they felt there was no need for me to do that. That is true customer service.

Sometimes, ebay and other sites may offer what seems to be deals. But if you factor in potential counterfieting, factory seconds, failure rates and customer service, you may end up paying far more than what you would pay Mouser to get it right the first time. Or Mouser will make it right for you. As a side note, I placed another order with Mouser today. They will now be my #1 choice for buying parts.

I just wanted to pass on a positive experience since we only tend to hear about the bad ones these days.

I recently "discovered" Jameco Electronics. I never knew they were just down the road, maybe 45 miles away. I used to order parts from Mouser or DigiKey. Both are in Texas, both take four to five days when ordering UPS Ground. A rather long time when you have a hot project going on. With Jameco just down the road, Ground becomes Next Day! And I find the selections quite good and prices competitive. No more Asian crapshoots from Ebay!

I ordered a Parallax Stamp Educational Kit a month ago for $105 because their Front Web Page mentioned 20% discounts on Tuesdays, which it was. With that discount, it would be cheaper than the local Radio Shack, at $95 or so. I mentioned this to the sales rep as I placed the order. She said we should check that discount out. Sure enough, the discounts applied to marked down items in a page whose link was not readilly seen on the discount announcement page. Oh, poo, I said, the rest of the order was a few bucks, and the nearest radio Shack was miles away (and, no, I wasn't conning or needling her). She cheerfully offered to drop the UPS costs to make the kit "in budget". What a sweetheart!

If you are in California, I can heartilly recommend Jameco as the better choice over those guys in Texas!

Digikey moved to Texas? When? - they still give an address in Minnesota on their web site.

I mostly use Mouser. I am close enough that I get the parts the next day using UPS ground.

For PICs Newark has the best price I have found. They used to offer 3rd day shipping same as ground, I am not sure if that is still the case. Newark tends run heavy on shipping. Many things are packages inside packages. Once they shipped me a parts reel with 100 resistors on it !

I use DigiKey when I only need a few parts. They have the best selection and can be a bit more expensive. But they will ship up to 1/2 lb USPS first class for $2.50.

3v0

Only problem I had was with Digikey and they replaced the parts right away. It was an actual shipping error, though. I got some SSOP chips that were in the exact same package as the ones I wanted, but weren't the right chips. I had soldered one on before figuring out that it wasn't working before I saw the part markings.

It was good customer service, and they did not require the original parts back, but it was also their fault, and you do pay for it.

EDIT: Actually Mouser used to ship USPS to Canada for $5 and I used them quite a lot, but I got some ceramic chip antenna's that were shattered in the mail and they would not replace them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back