Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

got a new part time job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I came up with a new way to clean sewers of fat bergs, it also works on pumping stations for waste water plants.
It came about after pestering the water company for sewer fat, having seen how they unblock the sewers I had a bit of a light bulb moment. Really simple idea but works like a dream, for obvious reasons i wont give details but its one of those really obvious solutions once your told it :D. Anyway I been offered a job at the local pumping station at weekends and holidays to keep the pumps fat free.

Also after a training course and confirmation I am old enough (17 in a couple of weeks), I will be able to go down the sewers with the berg buster team and clean the fat out. Best bit of all is I get to keep the fat :D. The other advantage with my method is you get pretty clean fat ;).

Pay is awsome considering i would have done it just for the fat alone.

You sound as happy as a pig in mud. ;)

Congratulations on your idea. Hope to hear about it when you are able to tell.

Mike.

Well done indeed, LG. Can you remind us of your intended use for the fat?

Well done indeed, LG. Can you remind us of your intended use for the fat?
My SAWG is soap making, although I'd keep the source of the fat a deep, deep secret...

LG, your range of interests never ceases to amaze me...

And, at times, your work ethic is astounding.

Congrats! Sending you an infinite supply of patience...I'm sure yours will be tested <g>

Your range of interests is amazing and something for all of us to aspire to.

There are hazards associated with working in sewers i.e. confined spaces. Hopefully this company will give you the proper training in confined space training such as use of air monitoring devices etc. Congrats on the job. :)
https://www.hse.gov.uk/confinedspace/

Well congratulations would be in order.
I came up with a new way to clean sewers of fat bergs,
Now forgive me but what are serer fat bergs? My guess would be like people pouring bacon fat and grease down the drain and it ends up in a waste water treatment facility? :)

Ron

LOL, No its not soap this time...although now you mention it.

Its for biodiesel!! fat bergs are are huge problem blocking sewers in uk for example...
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/enormous-fatberg-length-two-buses-4571824
that one isnt as big as the 14ton one in Glasgow on Boxing day two years ago.

Might as well tell you part of it because the clever it i can leave out. At the moment when they small enough (size of a car) they blast with high pressure water to breake up, but that just unblocks the sewer, it then goes to the waste plant and knackers the pumps up. They are from fats poured from restaurants etc down the drains.

But they contain wet wipes and 'other' products women sling down the loo. So plan one is to reduce whats puts down the sink in the first place, this will be trialed in a few months (my idea :D). Now how do you deal with fat bergs the size of a jumbo jet (see article above), without letting it get to the pumping station?

Currently 6 man teams go down for 2-6 days have blast away with shovels and water jets, until some kid playing ball on the beach had an idea. Think two industrial sized beach balls, gas cylinder, place first ball a bit upstream from berg. Inflate so it blocks sewer except for around 10 inches from the bottom of the pipe.

Now go downstream of the berg and do the same thing past the berg. Now one the cleaver bits. dont use high pressure water, use high pressure steam and melt it! all the no fat comes away and flows under the beach ball and away. the fat floats and is liquid for 20 mins if you use hot enough steam.

the really clever part is the pump design that sits on the sewer pipe while you do it and pumps the clean liquid fat fat into a tanker. Its been tried Monday and they removed 1/2 ton fat in just over 15 mins with no damage at the pumping station!

No wet wipes in the fat or other things as the steam hits at around 210c and 1200 psi.

I thought i had mentioned the safety course??? but anyway, they checking if i have to be 18 or if 27 is ok, i will undergo all safety training and the method is under full NDA with my mum so they cant use it without my permission :D.

the pumping station end that gets other fats in the pumps I have a different method, I can do that without much training as its pretty safe. I dont have a work ethic, i have a mum and sister that need a roof over there heads, i love where we live and that takes money, so ethics is kind of secondary. I just try and make some money when i can.

The balls use air and as long as you dont sit them on the pipe floor then as the fat unblocks everything flows away except the fat because that sits above the water and stays between the balls to be pumped out.

now its been mentioned and seeing how clean the fat is (relatively speaking), i might have a go at soap. i make alot of soap.....

Clever little so and so! (said in the kindest way possible)
You never cease to amaze, young man.

What a great bit of lateral thinking. Well done.

Mike.
Thanks Mike! wanna buy some **** soap lol :D.

One the bits I didnt mention was the nozzle, you know of normal pressure washers, you can get a nozzle like a ball bearing with a hole through it, under pressure it spins in a circular motion. the steam unit I use has one almost exactly the same, the rotation of high temp high pressure steam cuts a large area in one go without break lumps off.

Once I get the trial's completed i will detail the pump side, thats my favorite bit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back