Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Electronic Supply's Sites, Everyone Come On In! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Ok, I'm starting a new thing in these forums. This is how it works. All you have to do, is suggest a website that has good elecronic supply's, and tell a bit about it. You don't have to tell much though. Here's mine:

All Electronics Corp. I suggest them because they have REALLY cheap stuff, and they have a pretty good selection.

(You can also say things about them that are bad too.) Another one for me:

Digikey They have a HUGE selection, but it's kinda pricey, I think. Feel free to visit any of the sites other people suggest and suggest your own. :D

Electronic Goldmine is a really good place for items you wouldn't really find anywhere else. Such as "NASA Space Exploration Wafer Thin Heating Elements" (which are very cheap,) and "Fiber Optic Display Bundles" (which are just plain cool.)

My personal favorites are:

www.jameco.com Their prices tend to be pretty low, and they stock a lot of good equipment, their shipping is lightning fast, but tends to be slightly expensive. Amazing interface.

www.futurlec.com I've never seen their prices beaten, and the equipment is always delivered in good condition. Shipping is rock bottom cheap, but can take a LONG time to reach you. Good interface.

www.mouser.com Decent prices, decent shipping, good selection, mediocre interface.

www.digikey.com Ok prices, cheap shipping, with good shipping times, piss poor interface.

I was gonna say mouser, they're kinda like digikey, but better. :D

Update: All corp. has updated I think. Also, now that I've looked at some other suppliers, I take back what I said about their good selection. :lol: They are like a smaller version of Electronic GM, as in they have stuff that you wouldn't find anywhere else. That's because a lot of it is taken from scrap (or sometimes new) equipment. This is also why they can sell it so cheap. :wink:

I like Digikey because you can search by parameter, package, or manufacturer and zero in on what you want. I don't like their $5 handling charge for orders under $25. I order from Mouser if they have what I want because there is no minimum order and parts are shipped promptly.

I don't really care for Digikey because Mouser has almost as much as digikey, is cheaper, and you don't HAVE to buy certain things in bulk. Digikey isn't for an electronic hobbyist like me I don't think. Plus, like Russlk said, digikey's got that $5.00 for handling on orders under $25. Not good for buying just a few little things. :wink:

RadioShack :|... I don't really need to say much about them now do I? RadioShack used to have tons of transistors, a pretty good selection of IC's and a lot of other parts. But now all they have is electronic toys, cellphones, keyboards, TVs, ect. The only thing RadioShack is good for now, (for us electronic geeks anyway :lol: ) is a place to run up to and grab a 5-pack of resistors, caps, or maybe some solder or something like that because you were in the middle of a project and ran out of something VERY common. And that's only because they have stores all over the place and all of these other parts suppliers you have to order through. All in all, RadioShack, over the years, has become a large let-down. Who's with me on this? :?:

Suppliers

I'll have to get my list from the word processor and massage it and post it later. It's a big list, not necessarily of all the GOOD suppliers ... just a list of suppliers. Actually, if I have it, I have a list of the suppliers and a fairly detailed outline of what they carry, including those oddball items that you can't just find anywhere, such as carbide drill bits, or large photovoltaic cells. But the list may be too long to post ... don't know the parameters of the forum. I'll give it a whirl so that you can copy and print it. If it won't work well, then I'll offer it to those who request it, which may be biting off more than I can chew also!

Digi-Key used to be a hobbyists company and they had a pretty skinny little catalog. Now, they're trying to be one of the "big guys", which is OK, but it does make them a little less special. Allied/Avnet and Newark sometimes have lower prices on some things, higher on other, but one thing is for sure ... they carry stuff that you can't find elsewhere, such as integrated circuits, transistors and diodes.

The idea is to figure out which supplier is best or cheapest for certain things and divvy up your order to maximize your money rather than using just one supplier for everything.

One nice thing about Digi-Key is that if you phone in the order and use a credit card to pay, you'll have that order almost immediately. They are FAST.

And on that note, I find that I prefer my shipping to be USPS here in the States vs. UPS. UPS is SLOWER and MORE EXPENSIVE. Unfortunately, some supplies have a contract with UPS for all their shipping and get a discount that undercuts the USPS prices, but still, UPS takes 2 to 3 times longer than the USPS. And our problem is that we live in the sticks and UPS won't leave a package, which really stinks. Then we have to go into the county seat where the UPS office is and then do that during normal business hours and ..... well, you get the picture.

Dean

PARTS RESOURCES

Originally, items in the product listings that were in bold italics were an especially good selection of parts from that vendor or were parts that were hard to find. But the extra font embellishments didn't transfer across with the copy from the word processor (WP8) and I'm not about to manually re-emphase the text!

This information is taken from the vendors' paper catalogs and some information may be somewhat dated. (xxxx) after the vendor's name indicate the most recent catalog date used. ENJOY! (And I hope it posts OK.)

MAT Electronics, Inc. (2001)
400 Pike Road
Huntingdon Valley PA 19006-1610
800-628-1118 (voice)
800-628-1005 (fax)
**broken link removed**
sales@matelectronics.com

Surveillance and security equipment; TV flybacks; original replacement semiconductors (STK, LA, TDA, 2SB, etc.), NTE replacement semiconductors; VCR parts and tools; 1/4-w & ½-w 5% resistors; power resistors; SMT resistors and capacitors; electrolytic capacitors; TV antennas; cable TV and DSS supplies; cable; crimp terminals; adaptors; connectors; prefab cables; telephone accessories; cordless phone batteries; TV/monitor wall mounts; video game accessories/tools; remotes; turntable styli; auto audio; speakers; PA equipment; generic batteries; camcorder batteries; chemicals; computer connectors, wall plates, accessories; soldering equipment (Weller, Hakko, Wahl); tools (Xcelite, Panavise); bench lighting; ticket books; training videos; service software; alignment media (VHS, 8mm, cassette, DVD); microwave oven parts; test equipment (B&K, LG Precision, Pomona).

Solid State, Inc., Tech Division (Nice stuff here!)
46 Farrand Street
Bloomfield N 07003
888-287-5487 (voice)
973-429-7150 (fax)
http://www.solidstateinc.com

Test equipment (some weird stuff like non-contact thermometer, insulation tester, CO meter, refrigerant leak detector, clamp meters, spectrum analyzers, field strength analyzer, HV probe, differential probe, scope probes, premade cables; Triplett, Global Specialties, Protek, LG Precision); Mueller connectors; perf board; wire wrapping; PC etching; soldering equipment (Edsyn, Weller); solder & flux; educational kits (soldering, fiber optics); tools (Panavise, tackle boxes, service kits, trimpot tweaker, Xcelite, crimpers, spring hooks, bending jigs); storage boxes; parts cabinets; NTE replacement semiconductors; 74xx, 74LSxx, 74HCxx, 4xxx ICs; transistors (2Nxxx, IRFxxx, Vnxxx); thyristors; diodes (zener, Schottky, varactor); optocouplers; LEDs, fiber optic emitters & detectors; fiber optic cable (spools); capacitors (ceramic, mylar, monolythic, tantalum, variable, 160v electrolytic, electrolytic); RF chokes; audio & power transformers; potentiometers; resistors; crystals; oscillators; thermistors; wire & cable; fuses; heat shrink; calculators; computers & accessories.

All Electronics Corp. (2001)
(not to be confused with Alltronics)
POB 567
Van Nuys CA 91408-0567
800-826-5432 (voice)
818-781-2653 (fax)
http://www.allelectronics.com

Surplus outlet, merchandise changes periodically. LEDs (flashing, bicolor, IR, white, blue, mounting, bargraph); LCDs; lamps; lamp sockets; Cold Cathode Fluorescent lamps; switches (toggle, slide, rotary, push, mercury, hall effect, key, reed, pressure, vacuum); proximity sensors; rotary encoders; thermal switches; rechargeable batteries; battery holders; buzzers & noisemakers; wiring looms; small speakers; screw terminal blocks; microphones; crimp terminals; metal spacers & standoffs; cable ties; roller chain & sprockets; gears; motors; relays; solenoids; heat shrink; thermistors; fans; wire and cable; cameras; telephone jacks; connectors; adaptors; 0.1" headers; IDC connectors; premade cables; panel meters; DPMs; line cords; RFI filters; strain reliefs; GFCI outlet ($6.50 ea); photocell controllers; magnets; wall warts; transformers; "variacs"; knobs; pots; rubber feet; wheels; handles; capacitors (photoflash, electrolytic, large mylar, HV mylar, mica); resistors; fuses; fuse holders; enclosures; perf board; PC board; ferric chloride; Press-n-Peel; Tinnit; tools; adhesives; linear integrated circuits; transistors; diodes (diacs, schottky, 40A rectifiers; HV rectifiers); heat sinks; books; little kits; inductors; torroids; power supplies; Parallax Stamp supplies.

Marlin P. Jones & Associates, Inc. (1997)
POB 12685
Lake Park FL 33403-0685
800-652-6733 (voice)
800-432-9937 (fax)
http://www.mpja.com
Orders: orders@mpja.com
Technical information: support@mpja.com
Catalog requests: catalog@mpja.com

Surplus outlet, merchandise changes periodically. Security components; computer software instructional videos; power supplies; wall warts; transformers; fans; switches; telephone accessories; relays; motors; solenoids; pneumatic components; small kits; TV accessories; knobs; magnets; audio accessories; speakers (especially paging horns); buzzers & noisemakers; microphones; enclosures; rubber feet; lacing cord; panel meters; test equipment; prototyping boards; breadboarding accessories; tools (carbide drill bits, diamond scribe, files, pliers, crimpers); chemicals; lamps; power resistors; potentiometers; capacitors (super caps, trimmers, monolytyic, ceramic); displays; rectifiers; semiconductors; Peltier modules; LEDs, oscillators; connectors (UHF, N, BNC, IDC, mini DIN, 1/4", 3.5mm, RCA, DB); adaptors; crimp terminals; fuses; fuse holders; books; heat sinks; mirrors; laser diodes; computer accessories; power cords; ribbon cable; lenses; thermocouple wire; wire and cable; Parallax Stamp accessories; X-10 home automation.

Electronix Express, a Division of RSR Electronics, Inc.
365 Blair Road
Avenel NJ 07001
800-972-2225 (voice)
732-381-1006 (fax)
http://www.elexp.com
electron@elexp.com

Tends to supply schools as a specialty area. Test equipment (Wavetek, B&K, Fluke, Simpson, Global Specialties); meter movements; trainers (digital, analog, µP, telecommunications, PC interface, PLDs); chip programmers; breadboards; prototyping boards; surfboards; antistatic foam, bags, labels, mats and accessories; wire-wrapping equipment; tools (Panavise, Xcelite, vernier calipers, micrometers, drills & bits); PCB etching (Press-n-Peel – fantastic inventory and price!, Tinnit, ferric chloride, Kepro shear, tanks, screen printing); PCB material; test leads; storage boxes and cabinets; workbenches; carts; soldering equipment (Ungar, Weller, Xytronic); relay racks & cabinets; integrated circuits (74xx, 74LSxx, 4xxx, ADC, DAC, UART, linear, 74HCxx, 6500, 6800, 8000, EPROM); IC sockets; diodes (rectifier, bridge, zener, fast recovery, Ge, varactor); transistors; thyristors; EXR replacement semiconductors; calculators; crystals; oscillators; LEDs (blue, displays, bargraph, optocouplers); incandescent lamps; xenon tubes; fiber optics; HeNe laser; solar cells; switches; resistors; pots; capacitors (NP electrolytic, mica, tantalum, trimmers, ceramic, monolythic, 160v, electrolytic); fixed inductors; variable inductors; ceramic filters; transformers; speakers; microphones; buzzers; connectors; perf boards; terminal strips (solder lug); crimp terminals; cables; fuses; fuse holders; knobs; cable clamps; hardware; batteries; wire and cable; heat shrink; coaxial cable; wire wrap; chemicals; books; video training tapes & CDs; circuit simulator software; computer accessories; degaussing coil; security systems; small kits.

Chaney Electronics, Inc.
POB 4116
Scottsdale AZ 85261
800-227-7312 (voice)
480-451-9495 (fax)

Lots and lots of small kits. Computer-based training; training kits; solar cells – interesting reading on the subject; PCB boards.

Brigar Electronics
7-9 Alice St.
Binghamton NY 13904
607-723-3111 (voice)
607-723-5202 (fax)
**broken link removed**
brigar2@aol.com

Surplus electronics dwelling a lot in industrial control. Motors (BIG servo motors); transformers; fans; power supplies; linear motion rolling guides; ball screws; pneumatic cylinders, regulators & valves; rotary encoders; stepper motors; ac oil capacitors; ribbon cable; huge variety of hook-up wire and cable.

Electronic School Supply
3070 Skyway Dr., Suite 303
Santa Maria CA 93455
800-726-0084 (voice)
805-928-0253 (fax)
http://www.esssales.com
essinc@lightspeed.net

Educational trainers (PLC, µP, fiber optics, digital, analog); tool kits; test equipment (Elenco, global Specialties); small kits; fiber optics accessories; breadboards; tools; integrated circuits (4xxx, 74xx, 74LSxx, linear, CA3xxx, Xrxxx, ADC, DAC, PAL, GAL, Z80-, 6xxx, 8xxx, memory chips, diodes, transistors, zeners, LEDs – good mfr. xref for memory); incandescent lamps, capacitors (electrolytic, mica, tantalum, film); resistors (1%, 5% and networks); inductors; trimpots; panel-mount pots; IC sockets; wire wrap; connectors; telephone/network cabling supplies & patch panels; switches; transformers.

Parts Express
725 Pleasant Valley Drive
Springboro OH 45066-1158
800-338-0531
513-743-1677
http://www.parts-express.com
sales@parts-express.com

Home theater; remote controls; TV antennas; DSS equipment; MATV equipment; TV accessories; camcorder batteries; X-10; security; video game accessories; computer accessories; Category 5 cable & connectors; cordless & cellular phone batteries, antennas & accessories; telephone installation; belts; NTE replacement semiconductors (good selection); OEM semiconductors; capacitors (electrolytic, film, ceramic, large film, non-polarized electrolytics); resistors (film, power & dummy loads); switches; lamps; fuses; connectors; adaptors; heat shrink; crimp terminals; chemicals; cable ties; "E" clips; Ziplock bags; rubber feet; hardware; tools; Mag-Lite; storage bins; soldering supplies; test equipment (Triplett, Goldstar); wall warts; batteries (button cells, computer NiCd, lithium, gel cell, NiCd, 2-way radio); instructional videos; books; PCB etching supplies; breadboards; enclosures; small kits; Hammond transformers; vacuum tubes; tube sockets; chassis; vacuum tube amplifiers; wire & cable (snake, microphone, guitar, "Monster", flat under-rug, Cat 3, Cat 5, hook-up wire, high-current); CD supplies; test cables; headphones; loudspeaker building components (this is probably the biggest selection of this stuff anywhere on the market!); PA amplifiers; sound absorbing material; professional audio equipment; microphones; mic stands; cases; relay racks; turntable cartridges and styli; disco supplies; alarms; automotive (accessories, audio, amps, antennas, speakers, video, fusing, wiring, foam, liner, mats, speaker boxes, capacitors -- this is another big area of theirs).

Kelvin
280 Adams Blvd.
Farmingdale NY 11735
631-756-1750 (voice)
631-756-1763 (fax)
http://www.kelvin.com

Unfortunately, these clowns seem to sell only to schools which is a real bummer since they have some very desirable inventory for hobbyists that may not be found elsewhere. I don't know for sure that they won't sell to an individual, but they supposedly only send catalogs to school addresses. Science-type projects, kits & supplies (plastic molding equipment; radio/audio/video production; screen printing; lasers; hydrophonics; parts for all sorts of construction); cars, boats, planes, races, timers, bikes, magnetism, rocketry, hovercraft, balloons, wind tunnels, maglev; photography; bridgebuilding & testing; earthquake testing; robotics; plastic forming, injection molding, acrylic rods, acrylic sheets; signmakers; plastic, brass, copper, steel, aluminum, tin in tubes, rods, strips, channel and/or sheets; adhesive tapes; adhesives; paints; abrasive papers; clocks and parts; gears; motors; wheels; propellers; pulleys; magnets; solar cells; tools (Dremel, Panavise, glue guns, scroll & band saws, lathe, mini-lathe, mini-vertical mill); badge/button maker; books; small kits; optics; scales; thermometers; timers; rulers; electronics trainers; test equipment; perf board; PCB layout software; wire wrap; PCB manufacturing (PCB material, Kepro shear, tin plating, ferric chloride, ammonium persulfate, etching tank, heater, Kepro spray etcher, transfers); soldering supplies (anti-seize, silicone grease); knobs, enclosures; potentiometers; connectors; switches; LEDs, capacitors (250v & 450v); resistors (1/4-w, power, SIP); integrated circuits (74xx, 74LSxx, 74HCxx, 4xxx, some linear and opto, some NTE); triacs; fuses; relays; IC sockets; transistors; transistor sockets; diodes (rectifiers, zeners, bridge); solder-type and screw-type phenolic terminal strips; barrier strips; crimp terminals; "Amphenol" microphone connectors; microphone cable; headphones; ferrite rod (10 cm x 8 mm); #18 thru #30 magnet wire; TV and computer accessories; batteries; battery holders; zip cord; solid & stranded hook-up wire; test lead wire; heat shrink; wire nuts; cable ties; electrical fixtures (lamp sockets, switches, receptacles, wall plates, plugs, electrical boxes, dimmers, lamp parts); cable clamps; spacers; rubber grommets.

Alltronics (This is one of those you-gotta-have-it catalogs)
2300 Zanker Road
San Jose CA 95131
408-943-9773 (voice)
408-943-9776 (fax)
http://www.alltronics.com

Surplus electronics. LED flashlights; lens; "variac" variable autotransformers; transit cases; solar furnace; Teflon spaghetti; keychain laser; CPU heatsink; hard drive; solenoid valve; Loctite; carbide drill bits; 11-pin plug & socket - keyed; older crystal sockets; TO-3 transistor sockets; battery holders; Minicircuits parts; books; mobile antennas; grab bags (standoffs, plugs, trimpots, meters, shrink tube, resistors, MOVs, crystals & oscillators, capacitors, heat sinks, line filters, motors, motherboards, steppers, knobs, displays, ICs, torroids, hardware, wall warts, misc.); 45-to-33 spiders; tuners; tiny cameras; speakers; enclosures; capacitors (silver mica – excellent selection, polypropylene, polystyrene, axial electrolytic, axial tantalum -- excellent selection, conformal tantalum -- excellent selection, radial electrolytic); computer cables, computer accessories, LDC display; New-in-box Atari 1020 color printer ($14.95); fans; pumps; ear plugs; lacing tape and cord; syringes; Teflon tubing; PCB material (fantastic price!); integrated circuits (74xx, 74ALSxx, 74ASxx, 74Cxx, 74Fxx, 74Hxx, 74HCxx, 74HCTxx, 74Lxx, 74LSxx, 74Sxx, 4xxx, linear, used EPROM – overall, about the best IC selection I've ever seen in one spot other than an industrial distributor); little kits; LEDs – good selection; displays; #13 thru #40 magnet wire; magnets, ferrite beads, ferrite rod (0.5" x 8.875"); transformers; Amidon toroidal cores and other Amidon stuff; motors; steppers; pots; ultrasonic transducers; line filters; trimmer caps; rheostats; wall warts; solar cells; power supplies; prototyping boards; barrier strips; connectors & adaptors; muscle wire kits; surfboards; switches; heat sinks; a few tools; scope probes; rubber feet; diodes and transistors (nice selection); vacuum tubes (many used); instructional videos; cables.

Jameco Electronics (One of the good-to-have catalogs)
1355 Shoreway Road
Belmont CA 94002-4100
800-831-4242 (orders)
800-536-4316 (customer service)
800-455-6119 (technical support)
800-237-6948 (fax)
http://www.jameco.com
info@jameco.com

Computer accessories; solid state relays; small kits; integrated circuits (74xx, 74Cxx, 74LSxx, 74Sxx, 74HCxx, 74HCTxx, 6xxx, 4xxx, Intersil, Motorola, Signetics, linear, Maxim, Atmel, RCA, Z80, 6800, 8xx, A/D, D/A, EPROMs, EEPROMs, PROMs, PALs, GALs, RAM, memory modules, Analog Devices, Dallas Semi, PIC, ISD voice recorders); Parallax products; PIC products; software; prototyping; crystals; oscillators, diodes & transistors; CDS photocells (LDRs); varistors (MOVs); heat sinks; optocouplers; LEDs; IRLEDs & detectors; displays; LCDs; laser diodes; capacitors (trimmers, SMT, electrolytic, monolithic, tantalum, ceramic, mylar); resistors (1/8-, 1/4-, ½-watt, networks, SMT, potentiometers, trimpots); pressure sensor; flex sensor; hall effect; IR receiver modules; proximity sensors; temperature switches; knobs; switches; relays; connectors; cable clamps; buzzers; ultrasonic sensors; microphones; speakers; solenoids; steppers; motors; servos; gears; muscle wire accessories; batteries; fuses; solar panels; hardware; fans; line cords; line filters; transformers; "variacs"; wall warts (huge selection); power supplies (huge selection); books; breadboards; prototyping boards; enclosures; blank PCB; storage boxes and cabinets; little kits; cameras; PCB etching supplies; soldering equipment (Xytronix, Weller, Wahl, solder pots, fume extractors); chemicals; ESD tools; carbide drill bits; tools; test equipment; cables; EPROM programmers; computer parts (power supplies, keyboards, mice, cards, monitors, modems, hard drives, ZIP drives, floppies, motherboards, cases); computer accessories; network cabling and connectors.

Dalbani (If you do any consumer product repair, this catalog is a MUST!)
4225 NW 72nd Avenue
Miami FL 33166
800-325-2264 (voice)
888-716-9106 (fax)
http://www.dalbani.com
sales@dalbani.com

Deals primarily with consumer products repair. Semiconductors (STK, IRF, IRFZ, IRFP, STR, STRx, original manufacturer, huge selection of consumer ICs, diodes and transistors, rectifiers, NTE, ECG, TCG replacement semiconductors); capacitors (HV electrolytic to 450v); relays; resistors (1/4-w, power); computer components (cables, data switches, microprocessor cooling kits, cases, cable testers, monitors, cards, ethernet hubs, keyboards, mice, modems, printers, printer supplies, motherboards, hard drives, CD-ROMs, ZIP drives, blank CDs, speakers, microphones, accessories); multimedia training; VCR repair parts (pinch rollers, tuners, belts, heads, idler assemblies, tires, cassette housing assemblies, special tools); TV repair parts (flybacks, triplers, deflection yokes); CD player repair parts (optical pickup assemblies, capstans, jumper cables); potentiometers; TV antennas; video converters; video stabilizers; camcorder heads; MATV/CATV accessories; A/V cables; RG-6, 58, 59, 62 cable; power cables; connectors; adaptors; switches; IR remotes; camcorder batteries; LCD TVs; test equipment; analog & digital panel meters; scope probes & meter leads; soldering equipment (Soloman, Weller, Plato); chemicals; tools (nice selection, reasonable prices); parts cabinets & cases; security systems; A/V wall mount brackets; 2-way communication; home theater; headphones; microphones & accessories; batteries; electric shavers (I just report ‘em, I don't explain ‘em); cameras; telephones & accessories; telephone wiring, repair parts, cordless batteries; cellular batteries & battery eliminators; training videos; generic data books; power inverters; power supplies; wall warts; power cords; automotive sound (in-dash stereo, amplifiers, speakers, noise suppressors, antennas); crimp terminals; lamps; microwave oven magnetrons; NEC monitor replacement boards; small kits.

MCM Electronics (If you do any consumer product repair, this catalog is a MUST!)
650 Congress Part Dr.
Centerville OH 45459-4072
800-543-4330 (voice)
800-765-6960 (fax)
**broken link removed**
talk@mcmelectronics.com

Home audio systems (power amps, preamps, receivers, CD changers, home theater, tube amp & solid state amp kits, speaker systems, Sovtek vacuum tubes, installation accessories, speaker switches); sound reinforcement systems (mixers, amplifiers, equalizers, active crossovers, speaker systems, road cases, microphones, mic accessories, speaker horns, snakes, windscreens, audio racks & rack accessories; disco crap); televisions; boom boxes; portable radios (AM/FM/SW); clock radios; stand-alone games; telescopes; binoculars; cameras; electronic flash units; tripods; camera cases; camcorder batteries; IR remotes; CD accessories; headphones; turntable cartridges & styli; test tapes and disks; VCR service tools; optical pickups; VCR repair parts; TV repair parts; automotive electronics (TV, antennas, in-dash stereos, EQs, power amps; crossovers, speakers, alarm systems, battery chargers, rear vision); batteries (alkaline, lithium, button cells, gel cells, NiMH, Renewal, NiCd); cordless phone batteries; flashlights (Streamlight, Mag Lite, Eveready); outlet strips/surge protectors; power cords; hospital-grade plugs and receptacles; cellular accessories and repair parts; chemicals; computer products (mother boards, Intel & AMD CPUs, memory modules, EPROM, cards, cameras, power supplies, hard drives, keyboards, mice, scanners, joysticks, speaker systems; disk storage systems, computer batteries, data switches); video game accessories; technician software; connectors & adaptors; crimp terminals; computer networking supplies; paper shredders; calculators; laser pointers; printer supplies; PCB etching supplies; prototyping supplies; breadboarding supplies; knobs; spacers; enclosures; relays; switches; incandescent lamps; LEDs; fuses; fuse holders; small kits; educational videos (UCANDO, EIA, more); books; satellite, MATV, CATV accessories & supplies; TV antennas (Winegard & Antennacraft products); security systems (surveillance & alarms); original equipment semiconductors; capacitors (HV radial & axial electrolytic, electrolytic, ceramic, tantalum, monolithic, film, variable); resistors (1/8, 1/4, ½, 1 carbon film, SMT, power, trimpots, panel pots); IC sockets; heat sink insulators; crystals (regular & low-profile); thermal fuses;vacuum tubes (limited number); books; ESD supplies; soldering equipment (Hakko, Weller, Tenma, Wahl, solder, solder wick); speakers, enclosures, parts, crossovers; storage cabinets, boxes & bins; adhesive tapes; magnifiers; vacuum cleaners; lighting; microfiche readers; tools (Panavise)

ABRA Electronics, Inc. (This is one of the good-to-have catalogs)
1320 Route 9
Champlain NY 12919
800-717-2272 (voice)
800-898-2272 (fax)
http://www.abra-electronics.com
sales@abra-electronics.com

A large general catalog. Transistors (including SCRs, triacs, TIP series, IRF, Motorola); integrated circuits (including 74, 74LS, 4000, 74HC, 74HCT, 74HCTLS, 74C, 74F, 74S, 74ALS, 74ACT, linear, Exar, Maxim, Intersil, ADC, DAC, 8000, SRAM, PROM, EEPROM, 9000, 6000, EPROM, flash, DRAM, FPGA, Dallas Semi, GAL, PAL, memory modules, SMT devices); diodes (rectifier, zener, varicap, bridges); resistors (up to 22M, power, SIP, DIP, thermistors, potentiometers); capacitors (including electrolytic, tantalum, supercaps, film, HV caps, trimmers); lamps (including NE-2); optoelectronics (LEDs: blue, displays, holders, intelligent; MOC and 4N, H11, IR, matrixes, laser diodes); LDRs; DPMs; DMMs; analog panel meters; crystals; oscillators; noisemakers; fuses; fuseholders; IC sockets (ZIF, wire wrap, leadless carriers, PGA, SIMM, SIP); fans; heat sinks; switches (DIP, toggle, slide, rotary, micro); knobs; transducers; relays; relay sockets; inductors (a really nice selection); protyping; NTE replacement semiconductors (very comprehensive); maglites; xenon tubes & transformers; soldering equipment (

Omnitron Electronics
660 South Military Trail
Deerfield Beach FL 33442
800-379-6664 (voice)
954-574-9528 (fax)

Test equipment (Tektronix, Elenco, B&K, Fluke, Hitachi, misc., network test equipment); soldering equipment; test leads; tool kits; electronics trainers; laptop computers; computer equipment; training videos (UCANDO; hydraulics, servos, PLCs, rototics, relay control, misc.); small kits (Chaney, WizKits, Graymark).

Radio Shack
Ft. Worth TX 76102
(No mail-order; Internet or retail store sales only)
http://www.radioshack.com

Electronics parts and consumer electronics. Radio Shack has the convenience of retail stores all over the country with the disadvantage of sometimes higher prices and alltimes limited parts values. For instance, they may carry a FEW SIP resistor packages, but not a good cross-section of values and styles. Stores vary in size and inventory. What you find in one store you may not find in another. In general, do not count on a Radio Shack employee to be at all knowledgeable in electronics. They may know stereos, TVs and computers, but don't know a thermistor from a thermocouple. Having their big catalog is nice for emergencies, but not for general orders. Their ":Cue:C.A.T." for interfacing their catalog with their Internet site is cute ... but you can't find the "free" device in any of their stores – they're always inconveniently "out". I understand that as of 2003, they will cease any use of a general catalog. If it isn't in the store, you won't find it.

Digi-Key
POB 677
701 Brooks Ave., South
Thief River Falls MN 56701-0677
800-344-4539 (voice)
218-681-3380 (fax)
http://www.digikey.com

Despite the threatening name of their base of operations, Digi-Key, originally a hobbyist-oriented supplier, is becoming a player in the big distributor business. They have a broad line of solid state and passive components, and Panasonic is one of their largest brands. It's one of THE catalogs to have on hand. If you have a credit card or credit line with them, phone orders are received within four or five days.

Allied Electronics, Inc.
An Avnet Company
7410 Pebble Drive
Fort Worth TX 76118
800-433-5700
**broken link removed**

This is one of the granddaddy distributors. Originally Chicago-based and selling the Knight-Kit line of hobbyist kits, they were bought by Tandy in the mid-1960s and headquarters moved to Ft. Worth. Radio Shack stores were renamed Allied-Radio Shack for a time. The 2"-thick catalog is a must to have at hand, for this is one of the sources that will carry what the others don't have. Allied has catalog sales offices all over the U.S.

Newark Electronics
4801 North Ravenswood Ave.
Chicago IL 80840-4496
800-463-9275
http://www.newark.com

This is another of the granddaddy distributors. Newark is still Chicago-based and it and Allied are direct competitors and have a nearly identical product line. Their 2"-thick catalog is also a must to have on hand, just as Allied's is. Newark has catalog sales offices all over the U.S. and they're linked with Farnell for worldwide sales.

Mouser Electronics
958 N. Main Street
Mansfield TX 76063
800-346-6873 (voice)
817-483-6899 (fax)
http://www.mouser.com

Mouser is a wannabe distributor. They have a lot of stuff, but are surprisingly deficient in some areas. Still a good catalog to have. A lot of magazine projects used Mouser-sourced parts.

The Electronic Goldmine
POB 5408
Scottsdale AZ 85261
800-445-0697 (voice)
480-661-8259 (fax)
**broken link removed**

Primarily surplus electronics with a changing inventory. Primarily surplus electronics with a changing inventory. Silicon solar cells, weird solder alloys (10/88/2, 40/60, 60/40, 63/37, 96/0/4), ultra-thin heating elements, limited types of semiconductors, air variable capacitors, carbide drill bits, wall warts, security electronics, antennas, rechargeable batteries, enclosures, test leads, ribbon cable, super caps, trimmer caps, Mylar caps, PCB material, crystal oscillators (regular and SMT), crystals, optoelectronics, ferrite cores, fans, heat shrink tubing, heat sinks, headphones, overstock electronic products, small kits, optics (lenses, mirrors, prisms), microphones, magnets, motors, piezo transducers, pots, relays, resistors (SMT, power, 1/4-watt, 1%), small robotics components, SMT (diodes, caps, ICs, resistors, inductors), IC sockets, switches, transformers, ultrasonic transducers, grab bags of all kinds.

Pasternack Enterprises)
POB 16759
Irvine CA 92623-6759
949-261-1920 (voice)
949-261-7451 (fax)
http://www.pasternack.com

Connectors, cables and connector adaptors. Not a bad catalog to have as a reference for identifying connectors. These are primarily RF connectors and they're pricey. More for the commercial end user.

MPJA Is very nice. They have some of the cheapest things you'll EVER find. Like, a PC Camera for 8.95! WOW! Here's the link to the cam: https://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15056+CP Can someone tell me why it's so cheap? What wrong with it? They also have some of the cheapest cooling fans and relays I've ever seen too. They have an alright selection. A little more than All Corp, but not as much as Electronic Express. Their graphics for there products are VERY nice. Actual shots of the product... IN COLOR! On their site and in their catalog. All in all, I say they're a very decent supplier.

Electric Rain said:
I don't really care for Digikey because Mouser has almost as much as digikey, is cheaper, and you don't HAVE to buy certain things in bulk. Digikey isn't for an electronic hobbyist like me I don't think. Plus, like Russlk said, digikey's got that $5.00 for handling on orders under $25. Not good for buying just a few little things. :wink:

RadioShack :|... I don't really need to say much about them now do I? RadioShack used to have tons of transistors, a pretty good selection of IC's and a lot of other parts. But now all they have is electronic toys, cellphones, keyboards, TVs, ect. The only thing RadioShack is good for now, (for us electronic geeks anyway :lol: ) is a place to run up to and grab a 5-pack of resistors, caps, or maybe some solder or something like that because you were in the middle of a project and ran out of something VERY common. And that's only because they have stores all over the place and all of these other parts suppliers you have to order through. All in all, RadioShack, over the years, has become a large let-down. Who's with me on this? :?:

i agree with u.,.. a couple of years or so ago.. radio chack had three major stores and many minor ones here and they had stock of almost everything..even if they didnt.. they would order one for u from nearest available radio shack facility with in 3days.. now they have only one small store and what they all sell there is cables, audio stuff, some stupid books etc etc etc..and that too.. 3 times more expensive..i really miss their baterry collection.. they were the only one to have baterries i needed most... they suck now..

Electric Rain said:
MPJA Is very nice. They have some of the cheapest things you'll EVER find. Like, a PC Camera for 8.95! WOW! Here's the link to the cam: https://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15056+CP Can someone tell me why it's so cheap? What wrong with it? They also have some of the cheapest cooling fans and relays I've ever seen too. They have an alright selection. A little more than All Corp, but not as much as Electronic Express. Their graphics for there products are VERY nice. Actual shots of the product... IN COLOR! On their site and in their catalog. All in all, I say they're a very decent supplier.

the camera they r selling is made on extremely old technology.. it works on a parallel port rather than a USB of S-video..btw it also has sprint and earthlink logos on it. probably its is discovered from a junk of obselete stuff dumped by the companies and thats why its being sold at such cheap prices.. i doubt its quality of video..

to me its looks like an extremely old PC cam provided/ sold by earthlink or sprint to their customers for video confrencing :roll:

theboss said:
Electric Rain said:

the camera they r selling is made on extremely old technology.. it works on a parallel port rather than a USB of S-video..btw it also has sprint and earthlink logos on it. probably its is discovered from a junk of obselete stuff dumped by the companies and thats why its being sold at such cheap prices.. i doubt its quality of video..

to me its looks like an extremely old PC cam provided/ sold by earthlink or sprint to their customers for video confrencing :roll:

Yeah, you're probably right.

It is a very old camera... but it does have an ok resolution and a very nice snapshot resolution too. Well, I still don't understand it, but hey! I'll take it! :D :wink:

Diamond in the rough!

I was doing some research on the internet for electronic distributors companies last year and I found a company called "Knight Electronics" (www.knightelec.com) It seems like they have been in business a long time. They are a broad line distributor of electronics. Anyway, I have been buying alot of different parts from them like relays, switches, semi's, etc... good prices, like the feel of the company if anyone's interested. I told them I would try to send them some referals for helping me out on a bunch of orders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back