Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

good and easy Xilnix CPLD to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I want to start to use some CPLD, to use them along PIC for some projects. I got the ISE development tools from Xilnix. I'm not intro CPLD market, so, do you think it is easy and better to start with some Xilnix CPLD, maybe Altera's one, or Lattice,.. ?? or maybe they are much the same ??

some advice?

What I know about CPLDs could fit in a matchbox without first taking out the matches, but when I needed a CPLD I used Atmel's (because I use AVR, and hey, keep it in the family, right?). The ATF15xx series, I believe. My project was successful and, as I mentioned, I started from zero.

j.

Well... :?

WinCUPL is free, and is usable.

There's a 30 day trial of Prochip by Altium, that has schematic capture and VHDL.

Users can contact their Local Atmel Sales Representative/FAE/Distributor for details on how to obtain a Permanent License for Prochip 4.0

If you know the "code", then you know what this means...

So, in short, the software ain't so hot, but I'm sure you know that the software in this area tends to be very expensive.

j.

I've currently using Xilinx' software to develop for FPGAs It works fairly well - the interface is a bit strange but once you get used to it it's fairly easy.

I don't think ALtium is really supporting Prochip any more. They have moved their programmable logic into Protel and Nexar. If you are ok with a 30 day evaluation Protel has nice schematic based entry and support for VHDL. It supports both Xilinx and Altera CPLDs.

My current project is for the Spartan 2E. I'm still relatively new to the programmable logic world though. I jumped strait to FPGAs. I havent done any DSP projects yet but my next project will use a Spartan 3 with those cool hardware multipliers. We are going to do some simple image processing in the FPGA. I haven't started coding on the DSP part yet but I have done a lot of planning on it. We don't have any projects that really justify the cost of using a Virtex part.

We don't have any projects that really justify the cost of using a Virtex part.

yes i know that the Virtex parts cost alot. but ive heard that u can fit two PowerPC processor cores into a single Virtex :shock:

i also hope that i get enough time (and money :lol: ) to start out with FPGAs. the labs in my university have a couple of spartan III boards. so ill be trying it out very soon (hopefully!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back