Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Golf Challenge:

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Because this board was done using SMT components... at 290V the Wattage through each of those resistors is right at 250mW which is the limit for 1/4 watt resistors. Using a single 110 K resistor or 100 K resistor would have required a 3/4 Watt resistor which is more heat than I want to dissipate in a single component. There is good reason why this circuit was designed the way it was.

Having been a professional service engineer for over 45 years I'm also 'less than happy' about the three resistors in parallel, but on the basis of poor reliability. I've seen such design choices MANY times (either series or parallel) in commercial equipment, and it's one of the most common cause of faults that are 'designed in' from the beginning.

The reasons for doing it are obvious, as you've already explained (to some extent) - but the real reason is cost - it's cheaper for a manufacturer to fit multiple small resistors rather than one large one. However, this makes for an unreliable design, and a single larger wattage resistor would be far more reliable. There's also the added bonus that higher wattage resistors are rated for a higher voltage than smaller ones.

As an engineer, it makes many repairs simple to find - one of the first things to look for are series or parallel resistors in 'at risk' areas, and check those. I've even pointed out the design flaw on manufacturers courses, and pretty well always a couple of years down the line they will start to fail.

I've never been able to find out if this type of poor design choice comes from the actual designer, or the bean counters on the production line - I've certainly seen a few 'cost saving' measures implemented, where it was obviously not designed that way.

As my mother once said," there are more ways to kill a cat than kissing it to death" I think the same is true with electronics. Is there anything wrong with this modification of what you did?
Untitled.png

This simms also

Untitled.png

Kinarfi,

They might simulate, but check your currents and Wattages !!

In the first circuit ...

The 4.7k resistor is in parallel with the three 330k resistors

at 120V...
... the 4.7K will need to dissipate 2.3 Watts of heat
... the Zener will need to dissipate 450mW of heat
... the b-e junction of the transistor will see 103V

at 240V...
... the 4.7K will need to dissipate 10.6 Watts of heat
... the Zener will need to dissipate 1.3 Watts of heat
... the b-e junction of the transistor will see 222V

In the second circuit ...

The 250 Ohm resistor will glow ...
at 120V... the 250 Ohm will need to dissipate 176 Watts as heat
at 240V... the 250 Ohm will need to dissipate 756 Watts as heat

I'll just add that I think this type of "design competition" - set a specification and then compare the different ways people have solved it - certainly has the potential to be fun and improve our design skills.... as long as we can keep good-natured about it (as we have here). It's pretty brave to throw your design out there any have people pull it apart. Perhaps these "challenges" should have their own sub-forum?

I'll just add that I think this type of "design competition" - set a specification and then compare the different ways people have solved it - certainly has the potential to be fun and improve our design skills.... as long as we can keep good-natured about it (as we have here). It's pretty brave to throw your design out there any have people pull it apart. Perhaps these "challenges" should have their own sub-forum?

Already working on it. Defining the generalized scope of rules/requirements seems to be the present stumbling block to take on.

Too little rules and requirements definition and people are confused. Too many and people are confused again.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/the-great-circuit-challenge.153223/

.ƚʇɘl oƚ ƚʜǫiɿ moɿʇ nɘƚƚiɿw ƚiuɔɿiɔ ɘlqmiƨ ɒ ʇʇo woʜƨ oƚ ɘmoɔ bnɒ ƚnɘmnǫiƨƨɒ ɘʜƚ ob yɘʜƚ mɘʜƚ ʜƚiw ƨɔiƚɒmɘʜɔƨ nwɒɿb ylɿɘqoɿq lɒɿɘvɘƨ ǫniwɘivɘɿ ,ƨɔiƚɒmɘʜɔƨ ǫniwɒɿb ʇo ƨɘluɿ bɿɒbnɒƚƨ ɘʜƚ llɒ mɘʜƚ ǫniʜɔɒɘƚ ɿɘƚʇA .ɔiƚɒmɘʜɔƨ ƨbɿɒwʞɔɒ-ƨƨɒd ɒ ʜƚiw qu woʜƨ ƨƚnɘbuƚƨ nɘʜw ɘƚɒʜ I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back