Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Glcds with Pic 18F Assembler

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK maybe wasn't clear. What does the connector look like for just the display? Is it DIP or what?

The DogL display just plugs into a 0.1" dip ic socket with conventional ic pins - couldn't be simpler

Its just a 40 pin ic socket, the turned pin type. Simply cut in half and fit to your board at 1.9" apart.

If you use the RS unit, then that does need soldering to a board. The pins are at 1.27mm apart, fine soldering, but ok with care.

See the pics in the pdf with the initial post.

Nice project richard. Can you confirm that the third RS display that you listed, 627 – 1781, comes mounted on a sub pcb with 0.1 pinouts?
Can't see a pcb on the RS site. Thanks

Hi DaveS,

Of the three RS displays specified, that all use the same S6B0724 controller chip, I have only used the first one listed RS 627-1824.
If you see the tech data sheet on the RS site they do show them to be identical apart from the display colours and backlight.

They all have pins spaced at 0.05", which as you can see from the pic on page 3, can, with care, be hand soldered to your own pcb.

The display I used, the RS 627-1824 has been discontinued but there are other new units now stocked that can be used instead, providing they are 128 x 64 and use either of the controllers S6B0724 or ST7576R.
The one you are looking at is still available.

The EADog displays are so much easier to use with their 0.1" pin spacing but the problem is they are only available from a few outlets in the EU - and not that cheap, there are many other displays around that use a FDC type lead that need a matching smd connector which are not always easy to buy or fit, hence my use of these displays.

The only other comment is that is you have to do a voltage drop from 5v to 3v3 for the displays do not use the 74AC08 as shown in the manuals schematic - many better options listed in this forum.

Hi again Richard,

Just got the "dog" display working. Excellent.
One question if you don't mind.
Your code shows how to read strings and bitmaps from memory and display them.
How would you go about displaying "live" data, for example the output value from the A/D converter?

Hi DaveS

Good to hear that you have got things working.

There are a few ways you can output live data to the screen, I've attached a file showing how I have used those same glcd routines to output data from an existing program that used to have a lcd.

Attachments

• Dave.asm
    3.1 KB · Views: 406
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back