Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GLCD 12864 - Busy check - Unrolled code

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I am about to start writing code in Assembler (PIC 18F) to handle the basics of a GLCD (definitely trying to reinvent the wheel, which, by the way, I found nowhere up to now).

Two basic questions:

a) Given the need to check the busy flag, is it better to do it immedately after writing and leave with the "homework done" or leave it unchecked and do it prior writing the next time? (Second option gives the chance to find the BUSY flag already low reducing the waiting time. Am I right?)

b) For the different basic routines is it better to write them totally unrolled or make them compact using as much as possible CALL / BRA instructions?

a, Wait till next time.

b, Use compact code - most of your time will be waiting for the display.

Mike.

Is there a seperate busy signal for both controllers? If so, could you write code that takes advantage of that by alternating between the two controllers? Perhaps write to one portion of the display (1st controller) then write to other portion of the display (2nd controller)?

Just one pin

Is there a seperate busy signal for both controllers?

No Mike (USA), there is not. Just one.

Thanks Mike (AU) for replying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back