Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gigantic Transformers Galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
solis365,

Those XFMR's you have there came out of either an APC 2200 or a 3000 model. I don't consider them to be huge by any means. BIG maybe?

I used to work (as a Calibration & Test board Tech) for EMERSON ELECTRIC, which made HUGE floor model UPS systems - out of Santa Ana, CA back in the 80's. The XFMR's we test Techs had to fire up, pre-test and measure for proper Input & Output, and Hi-pot test were GIGANTIC to say the least!! Took a forklift on a pallet just to move them around from the Winding Shop to the test floor! I don't remember ever testing a bad one, as the guys in the Winding Shop sure KNEW their trade well. Don't ask me the weight on them - they were massive, as well as LETHAL - esp if you slipped up while measuring one! OUCH!

I have both a good working APC 2200 & 3000 model UPS unit at home here, so if you still need to know exactly where each XFMR colored wire PRI & SEC goes let me know and I'll open both up and give you a tracing of each XFMR you have there.

Btw - both UPS units use a 4 batt 48-volt DC supplied scheme, and they both use (4) 17.2ah AGM batts - a twin batt pack scheme mounted (2 in series) connected to (2 more in series) with a 100 Amp fuses in-between each 2 batts in series. Make sense?

In other words:

DC PLUS side of 12V batt + 100A fuse + 12V batt connected in series to another 12V batt + !00A fuse + 12V batt connected to DC GRD point.

Let me know?

Best regards,

Frank

The R333H transformer is...

I just ripped one of those apart, and tested the transformer. Mine is marked exactly like your, even though it comes from a 1500 model.

The transformer looks to be used to step 24V switched, from the battery, up to 240, and possibly used in reverse to step 240 down to 24V. Or alternatively 120V to 12V

In my case I tested the transformer with a small Variac, and found that it has a 10:1 turns ratio. (If I applied 10V AC across the white/blue thin wires, I get 1V out of the thick black/white wires).

I stepped the Variac to produce 120V AC and got 12.2V.

The yellow and black wires are alternative voltages taps to allow the UPS to adjust for different mains voltage supplies - in the 1500 model they were connected to relays that could switch them in/out.

For my purposes the thin white/yellow combo was perfect, as I get 13.8V from the secondary, with 120V in.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back