Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gift shop encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.
dknguyen said:
You can't include that $100 between the two stores as a loss because they both exchanged equal amounts of money. So he didn't lose that $100. What he did do was take the broken up $100 he got from the other store (which he paid back for later) and give most of it to the boy. The kid was the only one gaining anything in this scenario, and the kid certainly didn't gain $200 so the shopkeeper couldn't have lost it.

That would only work, if the shopkeeper passes the bogus $100 off (which he had to buy back from the neighbor). So yeah, if the shopkeeper rips off somebody else. in a similar fashion, he would loose nothing, unless he gets caught ("Honest, I didn't know it was fake...").

dknguyen said:
You can't include that $100 between the two stores as a loss because they both exchanged equal amounts of money. So he didn't lose that $100. What he did do was take the broken up $100 he got from the other store (which he paid back for later) and give most of it to the boy. The kid was the only one gaining anything in this scenario, and the kid certainly didn't gain $200 so the shopkeeper couldn't have lost it.
There is two times something to do with 100$ in this story:

First: The exchange between the two shops, that one isn't taken into account because it's just an exchange.
I give you one 100$ fake bill, you give me twenty 5$ bills (if that exists :)).
Result nothing changes, we both still have 100$ but your's is fake :D:D:D

Second: When the shopkeper next door comes later on to claim a real 100$ bill the gift shop keeper has to dig 100 real $ from his moneybox!!!
Now it's only a one way transaction, the gift shop keeper loses 100$ extra, the shopkeeper next door gain his previous los, so zero operation for him!
Finally our gift shop keeper lost an additional 100$.

Ok or not Ok?

mcs51mc said:
There is two times something to do with 100$ in this story:

First: The exchange between the two shops, that one isn't taken into account because it's just an exchange.
I give you one 100$ fake bill, you give me twenty 5$ bills (if that exists :)).
Result nothing changes, we both still have 100$ but your's is fake :D:D:D

You can't just "not account for it because it's an exchange". Real money moved hands with the store getting $100, and next door getting $0. This is later summed to zero when our store pays back next door.

mcs51mc said:
Second: When the shopkeper next door comes later on to claim a real 100$ bill the gift shop keeper has to dig 100 real $ from his moneybox!!!
Now it's only a one way transaction, the gift shop keeper loses 100$ extra, the shopkeeper next door gain his previous los, so zero operation for him!
Finally our gift shop keeper lost an additional 100$.

Ok or not Ok?

He hasn't lost an additional $100 because next door gave him $100 (basically for free) earlier. He is just paying it back. So there are no losses between the two stores.

+ money gained by shopkeeper
- money lost by shopkeeper

+$100 (from next door)
-$0 (fake $100 given to nexxtdoor)
-$18 (cost of product stolen)
-$79 (change given for fake bill)
-$100 (real $100 given to make up for fake $100)
-$3 (lost profit if item was sold legit- if you count this as losing money)
======================
-$97 or -$100

The store and next door cancel each other out so no money is lost for either of them.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
He hasn't lost an additional $100 because next door gave him $100 (basically for free) earlier. He is just paying it back.
Absolutely, during first transaction between shops I count the fake bill as real money but not in second tranaction later that day :(
Shame on me :eek::eek:

dknguyen said:
-$97 or -$100
Agreed :D

0-18+100-100+100-79-100 = -97
First-bought a thing - got cash from boy - gave cash to 2'nd shopkeeper - got cash from second shopkeeper - gave 79 back to the boy - gave 100 back to the 2'nd shopkeeper.

nothing hard. 5'th grade mathematics and logic and englis...

I would agree, but if we're going to include the $3 profit then that would make it $100.

Hero999 said:
I would agree, but if we're going to include the $3 profit then that would make it $100.

mcs51mc said:
One can argue about the 3$, because that is money the shopkeeper expect to receive but never will for that one gift taken by the boy.

Still a point of discussion !
Can you loose something you don't have :D :eek: :D ?

Then, try to explain the operation carried out by the boy should he choose to demand money back before leaving shop.

He is exchanging a $21 gift for $21 notes. Does the shop manager loss more by the boy's act?

eblc1388 said:
Then, try to explain the operation carried out by the boy should he choose to demand money back before leaving shop.

He is exchanging a $21 gift for $21 notes. Does the shop manager loss more by the boy's act?
Only because he gives out an additional $3. The $3 overhead is still money he never had.

There again, if the next customer wanted to buy it but it was out of stock then he would've made $3 is it wasn't for the thieving boy.

Hero999 said:
There again, if the next customer wanted to buy it but it was out of stock then he would've made $3 is it wasn't for the thieving boy.

True, but it doesn't change the fact the never had the $3 profit to lose in the first place.

TekNoir,
personally I cared for large screen video... large meaning anything larger than 48" since the eyes are scanning across the screen way to fast and furious to take in all of the information. There's something to be said for a nice 36" or 40" television. Sit in the first row of seats at a movie theater and you'll see what I mean. Sit mid way back and the screen is manageable and you leave without a headache and eye strain.

As for projectors, I'm buying 2000 ANSI lumen DLP models for around $1800 or less and they yield up to 5000 hr. lamp life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back