Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting myself unbranded as spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

Hi All before I set out to battle the mighty warlord known to us comon mortals as "bill gates" ok well to be realistic if i ever contact someone it will be a lowly clerk no doubt.

Having forked out for my own domain I set up my own email address and so far have enjoyed the benefits of holding your own domain and webspace, what I didn't bargin for was being marked as a spammer by hotmail, I've never sent many emails to hotmail addresses (or other domains under the mighty micro$oft flag) and I have certainly never spammed anyone so why is my stuff goig to peoples spam bin and how can i prevent it. yes I tried going onto hotmail and clicking help I get in true microsoft style an (I presume) overly complicated help desk and i say presume because it wouldn't even load !

any ideas folks ?

Google SPF records

I have the same problem with sending mails from my own domain/server to hotmail addresses.

I think Hotmail type spam filters look at the header, and if there is a wide distribution list, ie many recipients, then the mail is filtered as spam.

erm I sent the few emails to one person at a time and was told that it went to the junk folder

I've contacted hotmail and will "keep fingers tightly crossed"

Last edited:
well hotmail is just being a d!ck head because I've sent perhaps 5 emails at most to hotmail addresses and they have always been legitimate emails with a clear subject line and a proper text body it looks like hotmail just blocks people full stop typical of microsoft can't they let their users choose ?

the problem is I can't send more legit mails than i do already and I'm not paying to be on a "whitelist" hec all i want is to be able to email my friends !

i don't know about hotmail, but yahoo mail will do the same thing to people who send me emails sometimes. after a while they'll be like 'why aren't you replying?' and i'll be like 'i ain't never got none of your emails' and then they send another and i look in the spam folder and there it is. so i click on it and mark it as "not spam" and their emails get through no problem after that. pain in the ass? sure, but the spam filter works pretty good to get rid of all the crap that accumulates and i never have to look at. small price to pay, i guess.

Isn't Hotmail for most people, a secondary Email address, separate from their ISP, so they can SPAM other people? Maybe you are one of the few that doesn't SPAM, but it make more sense to exclude the entire source of crap, and let the individual select which Emails to allow from that source. I've never checked my SPAM folder, but don't use Email much. I get what I expect.

Pretty much anything connected to Microsoft, especially Windows, is trouble. Expect annoying problems that never seem to go away, and usually get worse...

As above - most of it seems down to not having SPF set up on your mail server.

I run my own web and email servers from home from a static IP address and I initially had a lot of problems with Yahoo, AOL and Yahoo rejecting my emails or just "losing" them although the server said they had been accepted.

I had to get my ISP to setup a PTR record which when the recipient mail server did a trace on my IP, corresponded to my server name.

Then there were the issues with Hotmail which still aren't resolved. They use SPF which is an extra entry on your server which identifies which IP addresses and machines are authorised to send emails from your domain.

Lastly you may or may not be on a mail blacklist which is when your mail sender IP address is part of a group of IP addresses which in the past have been used to send Spam. The mail recipients check the IP address from the sender against this database and if you ISP/Mail service provider has been involved in sending spam before then it may reject it.

**broken link removed**

**Edit** Appears MSN/Hotmail use SenderId which is slightly different.

**broken link removed**

well I've tried signing up lets hope it works this is wating me a lot of time just because miscrosoft are a bunch of idiots !

I dumped Hotmail years ago.

Now I mainly use Google Mail which is good and Linux Mail which isn't good but is alright as a secondary address.

I also have email at work but it's only used for work purposes.

yea well I use my own email my hotmail is just for messenger but unfortunately my friends have hotmail accounts, I think miscrosh!t have rectified the issue but I'll never make head or tail of the garbled emai li got from their support telling me what to do about it looked like the person writing didn't even know english, luckily I contacted them on their sender ID thing and it got sorted there, they sent me a link to a satisfaction survey that didn't even load (as if I even expected it to....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back