Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DerStrom8 is spot-on and captures the frustrations perfectly.

Not that I am in any position to judge (but I do anyway :))

Last edited:
HEY, i just hope that im not the one suiting that, i know we may have had that prob the other day, during my introduction, i know there was a bit of repeats and "rereads", but I swear i was trying every suggestion posted, sometimes they worked, but the others was prolly my misinturp, or maybe a missing bit, i still don't know!,
I do kno i appreciate all the help again, im never going bak to school, but I learn here as my hobby, and using anything ie resistor, transitor, ic, pic, its always a curve, and takes a few first tries in the field, also id like to add that another barrier in a forum as mentioned is communication and proper terms, one of my text books is a parts catalog & google, so my education is reversed engineered, and terms not proper, which really limits a google search, sometimes thats all i need are KEYWORDS!

i do kno iv gotten flack too for helping others, maybe getting a detail or 2 wrong, but I help where i can, as much as i can, lol maybe too much! but i want to give back here since iv gotten so much!

"You will get out of this what you put into it."

- its soo true, and maybe thats my drive, so don;t get too flustered, since you guys do do alot here, the gratitude should overcome, and make sure to only help at your convenience!, say i were to half help someone in a thread, but then i didn't know the rest(or even went to bed), he'd still be hanging, but maybe with enough to get by, and even if not thats less the last guy needs to help with, besides only slackers run out of time( so again only help at your own convenience)! (correct me if im wrong(
PLUS we never know when we are, until we find out!
(although Id never go in to chat simply cause it took me an hr just to write this!)

There's been a lot of interesting posts in the last few hours. Think a lot of them have been positive too - cracking. :)

I have never seen the name "dakta" in the users list.

dakta, I guess you should visit the chat room from time to time to get a true impression of what is happening there.

Unless you have a good memory you won't have seen my name. It's actually a totally different subject but I did spend some time there, in fact I remember having a chat with 3v0 9I think - could have been en0) about wind energy late one evening. We're going back a LONG time though -> I'll admit I stopped visiting as often because of an 'event' in which I was critisised for asking questions. Criticising is the nice terminology for it.

"You will get out of this what you put into it."

Totally agree with people who say this. I am not sure, and forgive me, what impact this has on what I'm saying (I do acknowledge there ARE people who just want the easy route - it happens on any 'skilled' forum), but yes, for what it's worth this is true.

In fact, (rambling story alert) my first experience with microcontrollers was at college - and this chance to get to grips with microcontrollers was cut short because, to put it simply none of the kids really had an interest in assembly, and the teacher didn't want the work of dragging disinterested people through the rigmarole of it, that said I enjoyed the little taste I did get, so much so when someone tasked me with a problem I now go out of my way to use microcontrollers just so I can play with em :p

By no means an expert, in fact my only experience so far is with PIC's, 8051 and the infineon 167 series in very limited capacity, but we're always expanding. There's much more I'd like to do, but i've not been given a task yet that can't be handled by a 99p 8-bit controller! Moral of the story - if you're interested, you stick with it and you get more out of it. So we're in agreement.

Anyway, back to what people have said:

I have become much less patient lately simply because I have come across so many new(er) members who just demand answers, and then refuse to listen to the explanations.

It's frustrating I know. I use another forum frequently and the amount of people who could help themselves and don't is disheartening, you lose the will to live almost, and can't face repeating yourself yet again.

One thing I will say to be careful of though, is sometimes when you try and show someone a solution to a problem, they don't immediately grasp it - if this happens then you're going to have a moment where you might think the person you're talking to is either very stubborn or plain thick. It's not always the case, in fact I can quite confidently say people with learning difficulties do get involved here, some of these are very enthusiastic and would love for the logic to suddenly jump out when trying to understand what people are asking them to do. Which it will, but might take some prompting.

If that sounds like a lot of hard work, there's no shame in just moving on and not replying to a thread, as long as we miss out the unpleasantness then everyones happy. I know I'm probably talking about an event that is very rare, but...yeah.

Perhaps we need to take a stronger stand. BUT there is no doubt in my mind that the moderators will be labeled as bullies or Nazis for doing so.

I don't think you do really, you look at this place and it's generally quite civilised, I didn't escalate my own issue to the moderators but perhaps I should have done at the time. It's over and done with now, but definitely put me off the forum for a while. (and yes, I'd read the datasheet lol).

--------------------

When I read this (i.e this thread) I thought to myself "I hope I have not been thought guilty of this"

Ironically, I support a lot of the arguments put forward by those I'm arguing against, the above sentence is pretty much the reason why. I know a lot of people want their homework doing for them, at the end of the day I just wouldn't want people making more genuine requests for assistance to be put off asking in case they 'deliver the wrong impression'.

That's pretty much my point of view in a nutshell.

If a member feels he doesn't consider the OP's question worthwhile he should either ignore the post or ask the OP for more details.

Pretty much agree.

I've taken over this thread a bit, so I'll let this 'devils advocate' arguement drop, just as long as we don't 'criminalise' the genuine article looking for assistance, that's all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread 3v0, I hope it helps people post better structured requests for help! :)

I have become much less patient lately simply because I have come across so many new(er) members who just demand answers, and then refuse to listen to the explanations.

Yep, welcome to the infomation age. There's a whole new generation of young people who have always had the luxury of posting a quick question on their I-phone and someone nice on the internet just hands them the answer!

I think many are terribly "spoilt" by this, and over the last few years it seems to have gotten worse. Not only do they expect a free answer but it has to be FAST, and answered in exactly the right way to appease them or they get irritable! And even when given a good free, fast answer they will argue and nitpick with specifics.

I really like what 3v0 has started, but might I suggest even going a bit further and formalising some rules for asking for help. Maybe a "newbie needs help" tag they can tick when posting the thread (that then appears in the thread title), and some simple rules like;

1. Provide as much info as possible on what it needs to do (no "secret" inventions where someone else has to solve all your problems without being told what the thing does!)

2. Be prepared to wait politely for help. At leats a day or two! No nasty thread bumps accusing people of ignoring you.

3. Don't be rude if someone suggests a solution slightly different from what you asked. They may have a better solution than what you expected.

4. Don't argue with someone about tiny specifics of the solution they have given you, like you know better. There is no need to "save face" after someone helps you. Anyway if you knew better you would be the one helping others with THEIR probelms. ;)

5. It's helpful to post your age! If people see you are 17 then they are more likely to be gentle with communications differences and understand your expectations better. If they see you are 30 they can assume you have more money and resources and possibly suggest solutions better suited to you then what they would say to the 17 yr old.

Ok, I've been a bit blunt but there's some valid points. :)

Last edited:
Hi Mr RB,

I agree with your words.

There is just one thing to add to this:

I think many are terribly "spoilt" by this, and over the last few years it seems to have gotten worse. Not only do they expect a free answer but it has to be FAST, and answered in exactly the right way to appease them or they get irritable! And even when given a good free, fast answer they will argue and nitpick with specifics.

I know I'm putting that question on you today, but I want the solution yesterday. :eek:

Regards

Boncuk

:D

And don't forget;

"You have to give me the answer right now because my assignment is due tomorrow morning!!"

...yet I've known about the assignment for 3 months and failed to ask for the answers then so it's now in "emergency" status.

Mine was due last year but what the heck I did it myself figured I would learn more that way. But i do like helping with things I can. But I really don't see how a lot of people make it in college. I like 2 years on what I should of done 23 years ago. I had to take a writing class and the first thing He talked about was how most of the class
wanted it handed to them,That didn't happen we work are you no what off to get a grade. I think I did more writing in 3 months then I've done my hole life LOL.

But I really don't see how a lot of people make it in college.

When I went to college for my ASEE there were people who dropped out in the Last Semester, is that crazy or what?

I guess as with anything you need determination to start and finish.

My tuppence...

Filed the DBA (doing business as) in 1978, went full time in 1993 (learn/pay dues/pay mortgage/etc).

I don't give fish, I'll point to the fishing poles to anyone, I'll teach fishing to those willing to be receptive And respectful.

I just signed off a post earlier with DYFH... Do Your F...'n Homework (ala RTFM). I have no respect for those spoiled individuals who expect us to regurgitate what the datasheet states, let alone "silver platter" them the answer. This Especially applies to STUDENTS!

Thanks for tolerating my rant, this Really sticks in my craw... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back