Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting 5v 5A from the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening,

I am making a device which is going to use:

20 servo motors connected to an Arduino and a microcontroller. The 20 servo motors each need 0.2 amps, the Arduino needs 0.2-0.3 amps and the microcontroller is the same too~(4.6A). I have found things like this:

Where the output is the Type C cable. I am wondering how I could possibly use this to get a Vcc and Vdd ( 5v and 0v) to be able to connect it. Is there some sort of attachment I could use on this type C connection to get this or any other means?

I appreciate any assistance, many thanks.

The output is a barrel connector 2.1 x 5.5 x 12 mm Center Positive

You get one of these and plug it in
MFG_4840%5E2200.jpg

Thrift stores often have switching power supplies for a very cheap price. Find one with a connector you can use, or cut the connector off and use the leads directly.

CAUTION: don't assume red is positive and black is negative. Verify voltage and polarity with a meter.

Red and black are often reversed on a power supply with a center-negative terminal. The cables are color-coded to conform to the standard center-positive and just get swapped around in the unusual case.

Thrift stores often have switching power supplies for a very cheap price. Find one with a connector you can use, or cut the connector off and use the leads directly.

CAUTION: don't assume red is positive and black is negative. Verify voltage and polarity with a meter.

I agree don't assume anything, but I don't think I've ever seen red and black wires on a switching-supply?, in the vast majority of cases it's a single insulated double (figure 8) black cable, with a faint tracer down one side - but again, don't assume the tracer is +ve, always check with a meter.

I specify saw the case I described, with a center-negative barrel connector. Individual red and black connectors where the red was negative.

You all could save a lot of guessing
The one the OP posted said in datasheet
Center is positive

I picked up a 5 volt 5.1 amp supply from the
Goodwill it's really nice supply you can find
Them all the time but do check the power plugs there all kinds and nothing in stone.

I am wondering how I could possibly use this
You can't if you need to draw 5A. That device is rated for 4A maximum, and it's never good practice to run devices at their claimed maximum, yet alone beyond the maximum.

He would never use that much surely not all
20 motors be on at all times lol

Center is positive

I wasn't guessing at anything. I was offering an alternative with appropriate cautions.

I usually use cheap power supplies (cheap to buy, usually of a superior design) when I need one.

I just opened up a a light switch that came on when you come in the room it's got a really nice pic 16fxxxxx chip in it now to figure how to save it.

Goodwill is good place for needed parts sometimes lol

One is hardly proof that all are like that, I've probably seen hundreds?, and almost all have been black figure 8 cable.

One is PROOF that it's a possibility. I know you have seen more and experienced more than the sum of all mankind, but you don't know everything.

Most I've seen is like Nigel said 2 black covered wires one will be ribed or little white lines running down it
Only ones with color wires are in one jacket
From printers and computer junk

Best 12 volt ones come from rounters and cable modems

Looking at the power supply you linked to I would get one of these and run that to a barrier type terminal strip for distribution. There are jumpers made for barrier terminal strips and spade lug connectors can be bought anywhere. Most barrier strips allow for a plastic cover to protect the connections and those working around them if they are distributing mains voltage which is not your case. The DC power cables I linked to are also sold as single units or only a few, you need not buy 10. :)

Ron

Center is positive

technically, it says "centre positive"

Buy the "multi blade" connector for your region at bottom of page.

also, if you do buy the part shown in post #2, make sure to get one with 5 Amp rating (the cheaper ones are rated for only 0.8 amps.

One is PROOF that it's a possibility. I know you have seen more and experienced more than the sum of all mankind, but you don't know everything.

No, but you offered advice that is correct only in a tiny number of cases - hence I corrected it, almost all are simply black with a tracer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back