Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Get an image from an Eagle file

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician13134

So, I made an Eagle file of a PCB, and I want to etch it myself, it's single sided, how can I turn that into a black and white image to etch a cricuit board with? Thanks

magician13134 said:
So, I made an Eagle file of a PCB, and I want to etch it myself, it's single sided, how can I turn that into a black and white image to etch a cricuit board with? Thanks

While giving print order, you may change properties of the pinter as black&white instead of color/Grey scale.

magician13134 said:
Oh, so I just print it out, and that'll be right? Thanks

If you're using iron-on, etc. be sure to select the 'mirror image' option. Otherwise things could go wrong in a hurry during power up.:D

magician13134 said:
Oh, so I just print it out, and that'll be right? Thanks

Once the dimensions are correct, get a photocopy by xerox. and then followup the toner transfer method.
ofcourse you may directly print with laser printer on a glossy HP paper on the glossy side.

Hmmm.... I'm having troubles, I got it to print in black and white, and mirrored, but the components are still on there... I just want the holes, and copper areas (I'm REALLY new to all this stuff, sorry if this is an easy question!)

hI MAGICIAN, don't you worry- all have passed thro stages to come to where they are now.

you have to select the concerned layer only while printing

View-----Display/Hide Layers
Mark what layers you want to print.
Hide what layers you want to not see.
Print

Click the DISPLAY icon in the toolbar.

It will open a dialog box.
Click the NONE button to deselect all the layers.
Then select the layers BOTTOM PADS VIAS and maybe DIMENSION.

Now print with the scale set to 1 and black and solid should be selected. You do not want to mirror if you are using toner transfer.

The image as you see it on the screen is already a mirrored image in that you are looking through the board. The image that prints will be as you see it on the screen. An easy check is to put some text on the bottom layer. The screen and printout will have it reversed. When you iron it on it will right itself.

It is very easy once you get the hang of it.

When you print an image for the top side you need to use mirror. Silk screens, top side of a DS board, or the top of a SS surface mount board all need to be mirrored.

I DON'T MIRROR IT?! WHAT?! Are you POSITIVE about that?!

Ooh, yeah... I guess that's going on the bottom... so I guess you're right. Wow, I NEVER would have caught that... Thanks very much!

magician13134 said:
I DON'T MIRROR IT?! WHAT?! Are you POSITIVE about that?!

Ooh, yeah... I guess that's going on the bottom... so I guess you're right. Wow, I NEVER would have caught that... Thanks very much!

Yup, quite positive. :D Or you can just mount the transistors backwards and bend all the IC pins 180 degrees. That works too.

Two more hints.

DRC is your friend.

The hatch pattern is best for pours because most printers can not deliver enough toner to make large black solid areas.

Logically Magician should try to appreciate, how the art work done by any software package looks like.
Whether it is top layer or bottom layer, they are looked as if from top. now for toner transfer method of PCBmaking, the paper pront shoul be also viewed as if from top. as it is not possible, one has to print a mirror image, and when the paper is placed with the printed part placing downwards, it will register correctly.

but the bottom layer can be printed as it is , as we are already looking at a mirror image. as the paper is paced on the copper clad it just works.

Sooo... if I was making a surface mount project, then I WOULD mirror it? What if it's half and half? And What's DRC?

Thanks for all your help!

For smt ICs, just threat it as up side down when you draw the layout, this is how I do.
DRC = Design Rule Checking.
For example, the space between two tracks. If they are too close to each other, then DRC shows dirty. But I don't use it, maybe I should try using it next time.

A board can have both SMD and through hole parts. If it is a SS board the SMD parts are on the bottom and the through hole parts on top.

The hardest part for me has to do with drilling holes on the CNC. When drilling a SS board the copper needs to be face down. I have drilled boards with it face up a few times. The last time the board did not have any ICs. By installing the transistors backwards I was able to use it anyway. :D

3v0 said:
Yup, quite positive. :D Or you can just mount the transistors backwards and bend all the IC pins 180 degrees.

The stuff I used needed to be mirrored. Then again I was looking at the bottom of the board. I guess top view wouldn't need to be mirrored.

theinfamousbob said:
The stuff I used needed to be mirrored. Then again I was looking at the bottom of the board. I guess top view wouldn't need to be mirrored.

Perhaps we have to follow the rule as per the package we use.

3v0 said:
You will always need to check the mirror box when transfering to the top side of the board.

How can that be different for different products?

Agreed that top layer needs mirror image print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back