Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Germanium diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob jones

Im building a simple crystal reciever set. I am wondering if the diodes used in the detector stage have to be germanium diodes. And why is this?

jimbob jones said:
Im building a simple crystal reciever set. I am wondering if the diodes used in the detector stage have to be germanium diodes. And why is this?

Yes they do, because a germanium diode has a far lower voltage drop than a silicon one, a silicon one requires around 0.7V to conduct, a germanium one only requires something like 0.2/0.3V (going from VERY distant memory!).

If you'e doing it 'properly' you should use a lump of galena and a 'cats whisker', and NOT a germanium diode 8)

Have a look at for some examples.

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you'e doing it 'properly' you should use a lump of galena and a 'cats whisker', and NOT a germanium diode 8)
Definitely! That's about 90% of the overall crystal set experience. My first crystal set was of the oatmeal box variety, back in about 1955. I bought a Philmore galena crystal embedded in a soft alloy (solder?) for about 25 cents from a local store (was Radio Shack around then?), then hunted all over town for #26 double cotton covered wire. Finally found some at a motor rewinding shop. I had no idea what the cotton was for, although I'm not sure I could have found enamelled wire any more easily even if i had known it was an option.

Nigel Goodwin said:
jimbob jones said:

Yes they do, because a germanium diode has a far lower voltage drop than a silicon one, a silicon one requires around 0.7V to conduct, a germanium one only requires something like 0.2/0.3V (going from VERY distant memory!).

Have a look at for some examples.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried this with a schottky diode? They have a low voltage drop that compares to a GE diode.
Klaus

**broken link removed** is a pretty thorough analysis of various detectors, including Schottky. One particular type of Schottky seemed to be the best detector he tested. I just skimmed the article, so I could be wrong.
A Google search of '"crystal set" schottky' yields some good hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back