1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

GE Pre-lit Christmas Tree - Adapter help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KNKLHEAD, Nov 26, 2017.

1. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Hi:

I have an artificial tree that I purchased on sales end of season last year, Pre-lit Just Cut Norway Spruce, 016435R and UPC 803993016436. I appears as if the adapter is not providing power to the tree. The company , GE Lighting and Nicholas Holiday, while very nice, appears to be having a heck of a time finding a replacement power adapter and foot switch.

I'd power the tree with another adapter and wire it, but the specs seem very strange:
    Model GT-30V12
    Input: 120v-60hz, 0.23A
    Output: 29V .... 12W (weird characters in between)
    For use with UL and CUL Listed non-integral LED light String rated 12 watts.

M/V 0516

The output of 12W is very scary to me .. I can buy an adapter that provided 30V, but nervous about the 12w output.

Any help/direction is appreciated. I'm handy enough to get myself into trouble.

Thank you for helping me light up the tree while I listen to my wife say "I told you we need to get a real tree."

-KH

Attached Files:

2. JimB

JimB Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

How do you know that there is no output from the power unit, have you measured it?

Why are you nervous about the 12 W ?

JimB

3. JonSea

JonSea Well-Known Member

A DC supply rated close to 29 volts that can supply at least 12 watts will do the trick. 12 watts is a little less than 500 mA; most supplies will be rated in terms of mA, so anything GREATER than 500 mA will do the trick.

Finding a 29 volt supply could be tough. A 24 volt supply may work but the lights will be a little dimmer.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Reloadron

Reloadron Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

The weird character is a DC symbol so the output is 29 VDC and capable of 12 Watts. If you can find a 30 Volt 500MA wall wort it should work fine. That assumes the power supply is the problem. Make sure if you find a replacement the polarity is correct when you connect it.

Ron

6. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Thank you all! Yes, I put a meter on the adapter and got nothing from the female outputs. How do I check polarity? (sorry!) Also, I am wondering what the foot switch does to make the lights go from white, to multi, then alternate, then off. I am curious if that "intelligence" was in the original adapter. Again very much appreciate the info. You are life-savers.

7. Reloadron

Reloadron Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Uh Oh, reading it I only took it to be an AC / DC Adapter. I just assumed that the adapter powered another box which did the magic stuff. I may have to start agreeing with your wife. Generally adapters have polarity marked but I don't see that in the image you posted.

Ron

8. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Ah, don't give up on me. (ha, ha.) The polarity is marked on the connecting cords, so I think I'll be okay there. (fingers crossed I do it correctly!) "m not sure what the foot switch actually does, I may take it apart to see if there are brains inside that piece!

9. JimB

JimB Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

It is there Ron, you just need to look a bit harder. :)

Xmas tree PSU.png

JimB

10. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Aha! Thank y ou! I have also included the foot switch innerds -- it appears as if that's where the "intelligence" is for the tree changing color. Fun stuff. So I am thinking I'd be okay with a wall wort as indicated above. foot switch.jpg

11. JonSea

JonSea Well-Known Member

Sorry, a single tact switch is not the "smarts" to drive the tree. I think this game is over.

If the connector to the tree only has 3 or 4 pins, or if the LEDs on the tree have different patterns or can be different colors (i.e., some of the LEDs red and other LEDs green, then they change to diffeeent colors), the LEDs in the tree are smart - each one contains a smart chip, programmed over a serial data line.

This rype of LED can be controlled by an Arduino or other micro, but it would be no trival task to figure out which type of programable LEDs the tree uses and how they are wired up. Even if this were discovered, you would have to write code to make anything happen.

12. Les Jones

Les Jones Well-Known Member

There is only 1 wire connected to the right hand side of the switch unit. You need to find the other wire and re connect it.

Les.

13. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Yeah, the second wire was just out of the photo. It was broken when I took the pieces apart.

14. KNKLHEAD

KNKLHEAD New Member

Just heard, the company is sending me the adapter. We'll see how it goes. I will solder on the wire and give it a shot.