Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage Set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Nikon

Folks,

I'm setting up my electronics bench in the garage here in Texas. Would an analog oscilloscope be okay in the garage conditions? It can get pretty hot here in Texas up to the 100s and dip down to 20s Fahrenheit in the winter. I don't have anywhere in the house to setup a good workstation. So the garage it is!

The users manual for any device you may want to use should list the acceptable storage temperature range and the acceptable operating temperature range.

I have one of those. It sits in a insulated but not cooled/heated barn. I only heat if I am working out there.
tektronix465.jpg

ronsimpson Nice!! Have you ever done any repair on an analog scope? I have a 2nd 465 that a friend gave me for free, but it needs repair. My biggest concern before I start tinkering with it is safety. I don't want to get zapped by that high voltage.

I don't want to get zapped by that high voltage.
The scope is not much different then a TV set. The wires going to the CRT are HOT. Stay away if you don't know. Often the troubles are in the power supply or the input. If you have a working and a not working then you simply compare the two.

The scope is not much different then a TV set. The wires going to the CRT are HOT. Stay away if you don't know. Often the troubles are in the power supply or the input. If you have a working and a not working then you simply compare the two.

And, depending on one's comparing skills, the hobbyist will either have two working scopes or two dead scopes.

And, depending on one's comparing skills, the hobbyist will either have two working scopes or two dead scopes.

Or, for vintage ones where some parts are no longer available, one working one and one partly-stripped one..

Good the hobbyist is not included in the equation! ;)

Dead diy hobbyist could happen as well when dealing with CRTs.

It's VERY unlikely, and you'd have to be extremely unlucky - while the voltage is high, the current is only low.

The main 'death potential' from TV EHT isn't from shock, but from physical injury caused by your reaction to the shock - such as falling over and breaking your neck, or snapping your hand back fast and ripping the artery on your wrist open (although reasonable medical attention should save you in that case).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back