Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage door opener question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atari nut

Hi, all sorry to repost this but it got no attention on the other page, i'm new to the site but am already enjoying it. i have two questions to pose to you guys, and gal's i have a two channel door opener that i use for the gates at work first i would like to pakage this in a smaller case than the 4"x2"x1/2" original which is kind of bulky but my hinderance is the 9v batt that it uses is it possible to use some sort of smaller battery's or capacitor of some sort to help with size problem ? and second it is also rather weak and has a hard time opening a gate from inside a vehicle let alone standing outside nearly at the gate to get it to open. is there a way to boost the signal. i know that some car alarms work at 30-40ft and thefactory alarms work as far as 100ft i would love to have this kind of range is it possible? any help would be very greatly appriciated!! :D P.s. the opener appears to me made by the Linear company and it has dual 8 switch rockers and dual chips marked T800 4393. Thankx again!!!

P.s. I have two scans of the opener circuit board front and back if you need to see them i'l e-mail them to you. Thanx again!!

Since you mentioned using it from inside your car, you might consider removing the 9 volt battery and using your car's battery (wired through a 12 volt to 9 volt reducer - of course). Wire it fused-direct or through the lighter socket. That will probably reduce the size by half. Also, you might get more range by improving the antenna at the receiving end.

We stretch the laws of physics when we build state-of-the-art but there are limits when you want both smaller and more powerful in the same package.

Yeah thats another problem i need it portable it used to be hard wired to a bus but know we carry them with us and they're just to bulky with pockets and hands full of tools. any help changing to a diffrent battery power power supply (smaller) would be a great help. Thanks!!

You could try 3, 3 volt lithium batteries. They should put out enough current and you could easily find small ones. Even your local Radio Shack dimwit should be able to help with this, just make sure he doesn't sell you 1.5 volt cells.

What do you think the life span wold be i had considered this but my hold up was life span. Thanx!!

That would depend on how often you used it, but lithium batteries last much longer than 9 volt batteries. A much smaller size might give you equal performance.

Great i gues i could stack them to get three volt's but that leaves my question of signal strength the anntena is part of the printed board but there are two points at either end of it that i could solder a wire in in a loop if that will work, what do you guy's think.

Well if you're using IR as a transmitter (don't have time to do a full go through, gotta go to work) you could try using a condenser lense as a range booster, these can magnify sunlight enough to scorch wood (about 400 degree's F)

Sorry Nostrofus but i belive it's Radio because the antenna is printed into the board i can send you an email of a scan i made of them if it helps i wasn't able to add the picture's here as attatchment's absoultly any help would be Great!! P.s. would that condensor lenses work on regular tv controls? i have a very lazy DVD plaver remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back