Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FYI Bootloader Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ_hensel

Had a program, programmed with a programmer, worked fine. Added a bootloader, bootloaded the program, NG. Why why why!

Some hints, the fuses are inherited from the bootloader, your program cannot change, but that is not what got me. I did not use, set, or enable interrupts. This defult worked fine, but the bootloader apparently did not leave the settings in the default condition. My fix, added an interrupt handler which did nothing, but even more important turned the global interrupts off at the very beginning of my program. Not all bootloaders may behave in this way, but if you have a problem, consider the above.

Which bootloader is that? So I can steer clear of it.

If it's for a 16 series chip then the config value cannot be changed. But the enabling interrupts is a really serious flaw.

Mike.

Yes. Very silly to enable interrupts with no handler in place. Bad bootloader bad! bad! bad! bad!

If you're using a compiler, you should have a directive to told him you're using a bootloader. And depending the bootloader you use, you may need to use some code remap.

Which bootloader is that? So I can steer clear of it.

If it's for a 16 series chip then the config value cannot be changed. But the enabling interrupts is a really serious flaw.

Mike.

I suspect that the interrupt is the rs232 port. I can see why they might want to use it. Of course most programs with bootloaders do handle that interrupt, so it was quite a while until I noticed it. It is a one line fix.

Bootloader is: ic-prog 1.05d

As far as I am aware, IC-Prog is programing software (and a very well written one) and does not support a bootloader. Do you have a link to the bootloader?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back