Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

functions of capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveYard_Killer

what are the function of capacitors if:
1. it is in parallel with AC and ground
2. it is in series with AC
3. it is in series with DC
4. it is in parallel with DC and ground (this is the only function of capacitor i know from now, as a bypass capacitor)

thanks

The simple answer: A capacitor will block DC between it's terminals, and pass AC.

If you connect a capacitor with one terminal on ground (earth), and the other terminal to a node that has both a DC and AC voltage, then the AC voltage will be passed through the capacitor to ground, but the DC voltage will remain.

As to answer the four possibilities you listed, I cannot say until I see a diagram of your circuits. (I often get parallel and series confused in my head, and I don't want to lead you astray.)

BEEF 41

The capacitor passes AC but its impedance varies with frequency. The higher the frequency, the lower the impedance of the capacitor. The impedance of capacitors is called capacitive reactance, the formula is: Xc=1/2/PI/f/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back