Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Function Generator Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

magedfawzy

Hi I am thinking of designing a function generator.. with minimum cost (NO ICs are allowed)

I need a schematic diagram that can have the min. no of components...
(resistive/capacitive exclusive)

it is to generate sine, rects, tri waveforms
i can generate the rect, and tri with integration.

my only point is the sine wave generation

I wish to use the 555 timer and the 741 op amp alone

Wish you can help

Thanks

what is "tri with integration"? sawtooth?

Function generator circuits that I've seen generate triangle output - that is graphically represented as having equal peak voltages above and below zero where the peak is mid-way between the zero crossing points and the slope between peaks is a straight line. I am not sure that's what they really deliver but I think that's what they intend.

magedfawzy said:
Hi I am thinking of designing a function generator.. with minimum cost (NO ICs are allowed)

I need a schematic diagram that can have the min. no of components...
(resistive/capacitive exclusive)

it is to generate sine, rects, tri waveforms
i can generate the rect, and tri with integration.

my only point is the sine wave generation

I wish to use the 555 timer and the 741 op amp alone

Wish you can help

Thanks

you mean you can generate only the tri with integration. Can't generate rectangle (square) by integrating something..

No ICS allowed, so you plan to build the 555 and 741 out of discrete transistors? I think you mean no function generator ICs allowed. heh..

My guess is that minimum cost would be the function generator IC if you want to do a good job since you will have to have lots of parts to make one with only 555 and 741 that is comparable to the IC version.

My advice is think hard about getting the generator IC with an app note. If you absolutely must make one with 'other stuff' then try
https://www.google.com

there are _LOTS_ of reference schematics about simple generators made with opamps from a square wave source (555).

But does it have to be adjustable? What is range? What kind of fidelity do you need on outputs?

MAX038 !!!!!!!!!!

thats the best idea i can give you! i highly doubt that a function generator producing triangular, square and sine wave made from 555s and 741 would be anything near "accurate" and easy. so its better to go with a single IC solution. that is if it isnt schoolwork and your teacher has told you not to use such ICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back