Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full Spectrum light bulbs. We need real sunlight inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I am looking for about 25 full spectrum light bulbs to put inside the house in all the light fixtures in every room. Online I see crazy prices $12 and up per bulb that will not fit in house light fixtures because of the strange bulb shape. Most house light fixtures are for 60w bulbs some are 40w. I found some 150w full spectrum and a few 60w but 60w is shaped like a mushroom it will not fit in any house light fixture.

Doctor gave me cholesterol medicine that gives me terrible painful leg cramps. Different medicine was worse. Today I got a 3rd medicine good thing I read the paper this medicine if for people with extremely high blood sugar and extremely high blood pressure. Wife is a nurse the screamed, DON'T TAKE THIS IT WILL KILL YOU. This is 2nd time this doctor gave me wrong medicine time to change doctors. SUN light lowers cholesterol. I spend a lot of time outside in summer my cholesterol gets lower on its own but winter we are prisoners in the house cholesterol goes high. We need real sunlight inside the house.

There use to be a company that makes fresnel lens lights for houses. 12" Fresnel lens outside on roof sends sunlight inside by fiberoptic then a lens inside projects sulight to light up an entire room. Wow these things use to be crazy expensive $600 per light. I can't find these lights online anymore maybe the crazy high prices put them out of business or maybe I am not using correct word search. It is not possible for a 12" fresnel lens to make any more sunlight inside the house than a 12" hole in the roof sq ft is the same.

Full spectrum lights are often referred to as Grow Lights. They're used by people to grow certain herbs hence why they're expensive. Banggood have some cheap ones but they're huge.

I think the freshnel lens thing is called a light tube/pipe.

Mike.

Sunlight does lower cholesterol but, since cholesterol is converted to vitamin D there is a limit to the cholesterol consumption.

The cholesterol level is not lowered a significant amount - you will not become healthy by sitting in front of some LEDs. You'd be much better off taking a long walk every sunny winter day - for the exercise.

This is an example of the lighting system you mention; it's ducted, not fibre optic:

I'd have to agree with Gophert re. the cause of the summer-winter level differences though, it's primarily the activity not the illumination.

Sunlight does lower cholesterol but, since cholesterol is converted to vitamin D there is a limit to the cholesterol consumption.

The cholesterol level is not lowered a significant amount - you will not become healthy by sitting in front of some LEDs. You'd be much better off taking a long walk every sunny winter day - for the exercise.
I am thinking if you look out the window you are seeing pretty much what I see. Plenty of grey and little sunshine. Our doctor sees us every six months and there is blood work. During the winter months he actually will prescribe Vitamin D which are taken once a week. Most people in the NE Ohio and likely your neighborhood develop a Vitamin D deficiency.

Ron

I am thinking if you look out the window you are seeing pretty much what I see. Plenty of grey and little sunshine. Our doctor sees us every six months and there is blood work. During the winter months he actually will prescribe Vitamin D which are taken once a week. Most people in the NE Ohio and likely your neighborhood develop a Vitamin D deficiency.

Ron
Agreed, but converting 0.125 milligrams of cholesterol to vitamins D with sunlight each day is going to take a lot of days to unclog greasy, cholesterol-filled arteries.

I feel his pain about the statins and leg problems. The talk about walking in the sun is great, but unless you've ever felt or had the statin leg nerve pain you (and my doctor) can't understand how debilitating it is.

So far the only thing I've found that even makes a small dent in this is Turmeric. And since starting to take it daily both my high blood pressure and LDL cholesterol level is lower than it has ever been. The LDL has always been high my whole life, and is just now near the acceptable level. This is since taking the Turmeric for only about 3 months. The statins I've been taking for a couple of years with no change in level.

Agreed, but converting 0.125 milligrams of cholesterol to vitamins D with sunlight each day is going to take a lot of days to unclog greasy, cholesterol-filled arteries.
When on topics like this I see your spoken words as the word of God. :) I just eat a pill once a week and call it good.

Ron

A lot of cholesterol medicine affects muscles, as well as cognitive functions (brain). A common "help" for muscle pain is co-enzyme Q10, which is depleted by most cholesterol medications. You can buy Q10 over the counter at most places that sell vitamins.

A common "help" for muscle pain is co-enzyme Q10, which is depleted by most cholesterol medications.

I take that too, but doesn't help me that much.

From what I've read about cholesterol in the body over the years, it seems to be that it is made in your liver, not from what you eat. My thinking is that not everyone's body is the same some make more and some make less. Just like the arbitrary blood pressure numbers, there is no real "science" to how those numbers came about in medicine. Just the average BP numbers from a certain town over a period of time. So that is what medicine uses as the norm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framingham_Heart_Study

Last edited:
What medication do you use for blood pressure?
Do you get chest pains from it?

Does it vary a lot with weather conditions?
eg summer/winter.before rain/durin rain/ after rain?

What medication do you use for blood pressure?
Do you get chest pains from it?

Does it vary a lot with weather conditions?
eg summer/winter.before rain/durin rain/ after rain?
I take Lisinopril 10 mg daily. Started with 5 mg and then we went to 10 mg. Pretty common and inexpensive stuff.

Amazing how a light bulb thread got to this. :)

Ron

It's interesting to me that tigers have low cholesterol and eat warthogs that have high cholesterol. Warthogs eat grains and grasses that have low cholesterol.

Doctors say we should eat meats with high cholesterol. I think doctors are crazy.

I feel his pain about the statins and leg problems. The talk about walking in the sun is great, but unless you've ever felt or had the statin leg nerve pain you (and my doctor) can't understand how debilitating it is.

So far the only thing I've found that even makes a small dent in this is Turmeric. And since starting to take it daily both my high blood pressure and LDL cholesterol level is lower than it has ever been. The LDL has always been high my whole life, and is just now near the acceptable level. This is since taking the Turmeric for only about 3 months. The statins I've been taking for a couple of years with no change in level.

How much Turmeric do you take every day? It has been 35 years since I hiked the Grand Canyon now I can barely walk 200 ft to the mail box my back & hips give me a lot of pain. If I take 1 statin pill leg pain keeps me awake most of the night and pain lasts 2 days. I can still ride my bicycle 20 or 30 miles fairly easy when weather is nice. When it is 17 degrees F outside I can ride my bicycle 20 miles but I can't do hot weather anymore. I dehydrate several times faster than I can re-hydrate if I ride my bike 20 miles in 95 degree weather I have to stay inside the house in AC 3 days to re-hydrate drinking 1 gallon water every day. I can be outside every day May to Nov weather is nice but mid Nov to mid May it rains almost every day. I was thinking grow lights would be better than nothing but maybe not.

How much Turmeric do you take every day? It has been 35 years since I hiked the Grand Canyon now I can barely walk 200 ft to the mail box my back & hips give me a lot of pain. If I take 1 statin pill leg pain keeps me awake most of the night and pain lasts 2 days. I can still ride my bicycle 20 or 30 miles fairly easy when weather is nice. When it is 17 degrees F outside I can ride my bicycle 20 miles but I can't do hot weather anymore. I dehydrate several times faster than I can re-hydrate if I ride my bike 20 miles in 95 degree weather I have to stay inside the house in AC 3 days to re-hydrate drinking 1 gallon water every day. I can be outside every day May to Nov weather is nice but mid Nov to mid May it rains almost every day. I was thinking grow lights would be better than nothing but maybe not.

its worth a try. And remember, even a placebo effect is still an effect.

Even more off topic:

Re. cholesterol, research in the last few years has shown dairy fats (and specifically cheese) can be beneficial to cholesterol levels, unlike saturated fats from meat.
eg. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22585901

I'm a near cheese-addict & have eaten vast quantities, with very little red meat, for the last 50 years; oddly enough, my cholesterol levels are very low.

And this is rather interesting and definitely worth reading re. joint problems & arthritis:
**broken link removed**

Very interesting article on Boron.

Thanks,

Mike.
Too bad references 2, 3, 4 and 5 are missing.

Also, something more interesting about the author...

I take Lisinopril 10 mg daily. Started with 5 mg and then we went to 10 mg. Pretty common and inexpensive stuff.

I take it's big brother Benecar https://www.drugs.com/misspellings/benecar.html, but it isn't cheap for those without good insurance. It's a very wiered drag called an angiotestin II receptor blocker. Taking too much creates side effects, but won't necessariy lower blood pressure. It is generic now.

It prevents the arteries from constricting.

My BP is all over the map unless the weather is good. All over the map means from 120/80 to 170/95. If the pulse is up, usually BP is up and PulseOx is down. Benecar fixes the all over the map BP. I asked for it. Lisinopril is cheaper, but I got occaisional chest pains from it.

I have to be on a BP med because of diabetes.

Too bad references 2, 3, 4 and 5 are missing.
They are there, grayed out for some reason, but still clickable.

That specific link was just a way of cross referencing the boron / borax article it contained, not for the author of the link itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back