Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full genome sequencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad777

Why do they say on wikipedia that it takes enormous amount
of memory to save entire genome of one human?

I seem to be confused ,you will forgive my ignorance and please correct me.

So they say there's 6 billion base pairs. They only come in two combinations.
AT -0 , CG-1.

So for 6 billion we need 6G*8b *(1/8 B/b) = 750 MB // This is possibley wrong. Why?

Last edited:
From Article - Human Genome which agrees with your number.

In order to represent a DNA sequence on a computer we would need to be able to represent all 4 base pair possibilities in binary form. This can be done using a minimum of 2 bits, which yields 4 different bit combinations (00, 01, 10, and 11). Each 2 bit combination would represent one DNA sequence. A single byte (or 8 bits) can represent 4 DNA sequences. In order to store the entire human genome on a computer without compression would require around 3,000,000,000 / 4 = 750,000,000 bytes of storage or 750 megabytes.

So by todays standards of storage capacity thats roughly one CD.

30 years ago that was something but now with multi Ter hard drives becoming common its not such a big deal.

My first HD was 32MB and cost $360us.

At $30 a megabyte that is a lot of space.

A little earlier: The first I used was $120 a MB. The 10MB harddrives for LT Colonel was $1200 in the late 1980s

So, 750MB back then would be around $90,000 dollars at $120 a MB

Earlier still: Remember LISA from Apple? It had 1MB of memory and that cost $3000 dollars.

Then, a 750MB of memory (Not nessisarily HD, but RAM) would have cost $2,250,000 Million.

The thing is imagine READING through 750MB of TEXT with only 4 letters and trying to find particularities.

Or printing it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back