Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuel Prices (possible blockade (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMera

I know there is a thread about fuel prices but i felt that its a bit hidden for someone who hasnt read the whole thread so i felt to start a new one. it also has a link to a forum thats discussing the problems with the price of feul, its a relativly new forum (1st member 5th june 2005) i think people should join to show support for the cause or the price of fuel will keep rising and the amount of tax will also.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Edit: they say the forum is down but its not

I read in the paper today that they're threatening a repeat of the blockades if the prices aren't brought down by next Wednesday. According to the paper, if the fuel prices in the UK haven't been dropped by 6AM next Wednesday, everywhere will be shut down by blockades.

We shall have to wait and see.

Brian

I haven't heard about fuel prices elsewhere in the world, but here in Australia, they are going nuts! Fuel has increased by about 30c / litre in the last 2 weeks (or by about 25-30%)

What's going on here??? :evil: :evil:

Phasor, here in the UK we're paying over £1 a litre for petrol in some places. That's over $2.39 Australian Dollars - per litre.

What are you paying at the pumps?

I filled my Land Rover Discovery up the other day and it cost me £80. £80 for 80 litres of fuel!

Brian

Here in Brisbane, unleaded is around AU$1.25/Ltr about UK£0.55p. For any Americans on here, thats about US$3.55/gallon(US).

Mike.
P.S. 2 years ago it was 75c.

$1.39 a litre here in Canada. We used to be scared of the $1 mark not too long ago. :lol:

I actually think it's a good thing. Keeps wrecks off the road, those living in the suburbs with 2 big SUVs have nearly no choice but to share rides/change vehicles... Hurts big SUVs sales. Makes you think twice about taking the car for 2-3 blocks. The extra tax dollar *could* be spent on public transportation and research on alternative fuels and electric transportation... there are numerous advantages.

However, some industries need to be compensated using the excess tax dollars collected. Cab and truck drivers who have to pay for their own gas and don't have control over their fares come to mind as the first innocent victims... I am sure there are numerous other examples.

Joel Rainville said:
That's nothing compared to what you payed for 4 wheels... ;)

At $65,000 (new), yes, perhaps that's true... however, for those with more (ahem) ... affordable... cars, that statement does not hold so true - at current prices, it would take me only 3.5 years to pay, in terms of petrol, what I paid for my car.

You guys are still paying a lot less than us here in the UK. Approximately 75% of our fuel is tax for the government, hence why Tony Blair isn't the motorist's favourite man at the moment. I understand Joel's suggestion that the tax is a good thing because it can be used for research into alternative fuels and such like, but I think what we're mainly annoyed about here in the UK is that the tax ISN'T spent on any of those things, it just seems to dissapear into the pot.

The argument behind such high taxes is that vehicles are polluting the atmosphere and damaging the environment. Ok, so are we to understand that 17.5% of the fuel price goes to VAT (standard tax for goods) and that the remaining 57% that's taken off us goes completely on the environment? I think not. The fact that the government are not using the taxes for the purpose which they're using to base their argument for the taxes in the first place makes it all feel like one big con.

Brian

Phasor said:
Joel Rainville said:
That's nothing compared to what you payed for 4 wheels... ;)

At $65,000 (new), yes, perhaps that's true... however, for those with more (ahem) ... affordable... cars, that statement does not hold so true - at current prices, it would take me only 3.5 years to pay, in terms of petrol, what I paid for my car.

Not sure I follow you... what do you mean?

What I meant is that, someone who owns a Land Rover Discovery, a Hummer or has an F1 engine in his Honda Civic simply shouldn't have the right to complain about fuel prices. I'm not saying you're complaining... I'm just warning you ;):p

Unless that car is absolutely needed for your work? Up here, Land Rover Discovery owners simply use it as an everyday car to enjoy that "I'm-going-to-the-zoo-feed-the-giraffes"-look while going to the office.

:lol:

Don't take it personnaly, I just hate all big trucks!... :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back