Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

does anyone know why i cannot make any ftp connection from my house i have 3 computers which i have tryed this on i checked that my ftp site was working fine. and tryed a ftp.redhat.com but still no luck any ideas

thanks, dan

ps: it says "a conection with the server could not be established"

i disable windows firewall and zone alarm(my antivirus, spyware and firewall software) and still no luck

i did alot of googleing but didn't return much results

Thats wierd.

I dont know what this cod be.

Just download it from an nother PC that works and then transfer it to your PC.

You shury have an USB memory stick or an black CD laying around.Or even beter if its in a LAN.

this is the problem though all the computers in my house will not ftp. i can do it at school but they don't let you use cds or memory sticks

danielsmusic said:
this is the problem though all the computers in my house will not ftp. i can do it at school but they don't let you use cds or memory sticks

how are all those computers connected to the internet?
each of them has dialup connection or you have router
or you are using one of them to run proxy server?

this may not help, depending on the program you are using to FTP, but here goes anyways...

Many FTP programs have a small window that shows the actual list of commands being sent back and forth between you and the FTP server ( like a listing of DOS command line entries ) . During the exchange, you should see where things are going wrong. Maybe something like login failed, user name rejected, time-out, etc. Most commands are given as a number, followed by a very short description of the command, and then a response.

Any error should show up as a " failed to .... whatever" From this you should be able to sort out where the communication is breaking down.

here is a link to the program I use alot, WS-FTP, including a screenshot showing the info I refer to :

**broken link removed**

i use cute ftp 7 it is very good complete controll over everything, and yes you can see the command window. i have a screen shot.
i have used the username, ip and password before. it saves them.

Attachments

• ftp.jpg
    ftp.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 291
Hi, what I was hoping to see was the debug window,( right behind the File Transfer Log Window in your screenshot. :D )

If you can get a log of the connections debug output, you should have a good chance of determining why the connection fails.

Try running CuteFTP in debug mode, with all connection settings to "automatic", this may help get the settings right.

here is a listing of some of the numbers infront of the debug output:

1yz Positive Preliminary reply. The request action has been initiated,but another reply is to be expected before the client issues another command

2yz Positive Completion reply. The requested action has successfully completed, and the client may issue another command

3yz Positive Intermediate reply. The command has been accepted, but more information is required. The client should send another command in reply.

4yz Transient Negative reply. The command failed, but it can be retried

5yz Permanent Negative Completion reply. The command failed, and should not be repeated.

The yz of each number above will be 2 digits that define the exact code, ie,
550 nonexistentdir: The system cannot find the file specified.
230 User xxxxx logged in.

here is the debug window. i have three computers, let say the one with the modem i 1, my computer is 2, and my sisters is 3.

here is a crude layout of the network.
________ ___ __ __
¦internet¦--------¦1¦-----------¦2¦----------¦3¦

dashes are network cables.

Attachments

• debug_window.jpg
    debug_window.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 308
Have you consulted your hosts FTP help page at **broken link removed**, it may prove helpful?.

Also, do you have a Firewall running?, it could be blocking you?.

You might also try checking the control panel options?, it looks to offer various FTP settings?.

BTW, I notice the domain is registered to Susan, is that your mother?.

yea susan is my mother. i can ftp into that acount i tryed it at school, i also tryed ftp from my sisters computer(which doesnt have a firewall or a antivirus) and i disabled here windows firewall to try it.

Your computers being wired the way you've shown, computer #1 should have 2 ethernet interfaces (network cards), one connected to the internet using the actual IP address provided by your ISP, the other connected to your LAN using local, non-internet-routable IP addresses.

Computer 1 acts as a proxy, making requests on the Internet on other computers' behalf and routing the responses back. If all 3 computers currently can access websites (HTTP) but not FTP sites, you only need to tell your routing/proxy software configuration to do so. Not knowing what kind of software routing you're doing, it's hard to give advices. Look for ways to allow traffic on port 23, which is the standard TCP/IP port for the FTP protocol.

but what i don't get is that it has worked fine before, internet works fine on every computer.
every computer is always on the net.
what port does http use. maby using the same port a http. or is there a different way of accessing the files on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back