Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FT232 USB UART Chip, Sparkfun Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarter

Hi,

I have followed the instructions in the spark fun tutorial SparkFun Electronics which tells you how to layout a FT232 Breakout board.

I used this design to create a small host board for an ATMega328.

I have not yet soldered my ATMega onto the board, but instead tried to get the PC to see the chip, unfortunately the PC does not see the chip at all, I dont even get a 'Device not recognised'. It seems to not do anything at all!! I have checked for any shorts, and my circuit is very very similar to the sparkfun tutorial and the one suggested in the datasheet for the chip

Would anyone who has used this chip be so kind as to look at my circuit and see if I've made any obvious flaws?

Here is the schematic: **broken link removed**
Here is the board layout: **broken link removed**

Many Thanks,
James

You have installed the software drivers in the PC, right?

Last edited:
You still have 4 airwires on your board, did you connect the two that the FT chip needs. The other two don't make sense and I'm confused by them - bridging the I²C and laser connectors. Otherwise, it looks fine.

Mike.

I have installed the drivers previously for the Arduino board, i'm waiting for it to recognise this board.

I can only see two air wires on the image i uploaded?

I have two bridges cause its a single sided board, one for the RX on FT232 and one for the 3.3v out of the FT232.

The laser and I2C are not jumpers they are connectors for devices off the board.

Do you see some connections I can missing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back