Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FSM/FPGA design problem...help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsodmike

ello there!

I'm new to FPGAs but I'm wondering how one would treat this problem.

There are two buttons as input and each one has a corresponding output say SWA/SWB and LEDA/LEDB.

Basically if SWA is pushed, LEDA should be 'latched' until the system is reset. Same for SWB which would latch LEDB.

Now here's the tricky bit - if both are pushed simultaneoulsy then we 'toggle' between LEDA and LEDB for each successive simultaneous pushes.

Does one treat this like an F.S.M. problem, with Mealy model? I tried doing a state table/state diagram and hit a brick wall with the latching part.

I have come up with a design that involves simple logic but I'm wondering if there is a much better way of doing this. The way I set about it is how a caveman would - no proper planning and thinking how this would work...

So any help in solving this to give:

state diag
state table
expanded state table
minimization
final system diag

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips