Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

From breadboard to where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

Okay so you got your circuit all plugged in and working perfectly on your breadboard and want to start with the next project... how do you (as a hobbyist) make a PCB of your completed circuit? And no, soldering all the components together is not an option:p

Perfboard is common. Direct point to point wiring for the connections or you can use a perfboard that is layed out just like a breadboard and simply transfer the circuit verbatim. If you want information on how to custom make PCB's use Google's advanced search for PCB etching and point it to Electronic Circuits Projects Diagrams Schematics Electronics Circuit Project you will find several threads with more than enough suggestions to get you going.

.....soldering all the components together is not an option:p

Oh it's an option, one I've resorted to in the past, it's just not a good one.

I'm going to agree with what Sceadwian suggested. For years anything I made on a protoboard that worked got transfered to perf board. The protoboard is a good way to get a flowing logical layout of parts as mentioned by Sceadwian. I've gotten to the point where I just make a PCB for any final project (which has totally ruined my patience for point to point wiring) but perf board is the place to start.

I don't have the space, time, patience, desire, or need to etch my own PCB's right now. Perfboard is good enough for anything I need to make a circuit out of if it comes down to it. Less SMD stuff, which I don't need to work with.

OrCAD Layout and then mail away. Schematic capture and PCB layout I can handle- the worst part is actually making all the component symbols and footprints. I try to use SMD if possible. The only things I want to use through hole or are connectors and large parts (anything that needs an actual mechanical hold).

I can easily spend hours and hours laying out a board, but it is really hard to sit myself down for 5 minutes to make a component footprint.

Last edited:
I usually go with perfo board, with and without copper tracks on the other side.
I find the perfoboard with the linked (strips of 3) quite handy to use.

ExpressPCB and PCB123 have free schematic and layout software, and will build pcbs for you for a reasonable cost.

I've been very successful in etching my own PCBs. The nice thing is that this opens up the world of SMD components, which can be extremely convenient. Much easier to solder than most folks would realize and significantly reduces the amount of hole drilling required.

I design in Eagle (freeware edition).
Print to Staples High Gloss photo paper on a laser printer.
Iron it onto my copper clad, and soak off the paper.
Etch it using an HCL/H2O2 solution in a small plastic container.
Wipe off the toner with acetone.
Drill holes with drill press.

If I don't mess up a trace during the iron-on/soak-off transfer process, I can crank out a good sized PCB from start to finish in about 15 minutes. The entire process uses components I already use or had laying around the house. (Muriatic acid, found at pool supply or local hardware store, is a good source of HCL)

Etch your own. It can take a bit of practice, but it's worth it. One nice thing is I hardly look at pinouts anymore. Once you've verified a library part that's it. Schematic, place and route the board and just solder it on.

There's probably hundreds of etching threads on here already.

Etch your own. It can take a bit of practice, but it's worth it. One nice thing is I hardly look at pinouts anymore. Once you've verified a library part that's it. Schematic, place and route the board and just solder it on.

There's probably hundreds of etching threads on here already.
I agree. With schematic capture you do not have to verify that the traces are routed correctly. The last time I checked Eagle was the only free layout program that provided it.

As stated earlier there are many threads on etching. Both the photo and toner transfer can work well. I will stop there.

"And no, soldering all the components together is not an option"

I'd have to agree with everybody else that it's not a good option, but I skip the breadboard and just solder everything in using wires, junctions? (they're like thin stripped wires, always marked J..# on circuit boards) and even solder bridges to connect everything together. Yes, that's a terrible idea. It's not an orthodox way of doing things, but I do it because it gives me a lot of practice getting used to the flow of solder, not to mention lots of desoldering.

DSC00526.JPG

If I were to put together a larger circuit, and once I start designing stuff where I know how it's going to work before I make it (so no need for moving components around), I think it'd be fun to put in the traces or etch it myself.

From this link.

Q: Well slap me like a data sheet and call me Suzy! I am ready to get going here, I know how the parts work, I have a schematic, all my parts and I am ready to go, but what tools do I need and how should I put all the parts together?

A: Ok, let's talk about breadboards, and circuit building.

This site looks like a pretty good one.
Electronic Construction Tutorial Part 1 - Tools & Soldering

A few more links.

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles...ArticleID=6105

**broken link removed**

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/05/bboard.pdf

Maybe you can get some ideas from those links. :)

Sorry Chris, ask for help around here and you get it, weather you like it or not =O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back