Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency standard, radio 4 or msf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sussed it in the end.
The problem was mainly too high a kv, the bb212 varicap has a high capacitance, just 1v correction voltage shifted the o/p a few khz, so the system was trying to make too small a change in voltage to track the frequency.

Lowering the gain a little by changing the bb212 with a pair of bb105's in parallel gets only around + and - 50 hz shift of the osc frequency for the entire 5v control range, the oscillator is now nice and stable.
I will need to replace the xtal with a 10ppm varsion, or use one of my crystal ovens.

Turns out my freq counter is off 65hz in 10m/c's, not bad seeing as all the house moves its suffered.

Well after observing the standard for a while there is a 1hz or so fluctuation at 10 mc's, much more like it.
I reckon this can be reduced also.
Heres a design mod I came up with for the receiver, I'm allready using this circuit, the stuff bottom right I think might be usefull for removing some of the am from the carrier which might be causing my drift, I'm thinking apply the received audio to a dual gate fet on the fron end, instead of the single gate fet I'm using, and implement a sort of high speed agc, the capacitive coupling is going to create a time shift so total cancellation isnt going to happen but I'm expecting a good reduction in modulation.

Attachments

• SKMBT_C25313100123230.pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 224
Well initially I was discussing whether to use radio 4 or Msf as a source for my frequency standard, hence the title.
Looks like I now have both, I recently finished my Msf standard.
It has a crystal filter on the Msf front end, 3 phase locked loops and a propriety crystal oven, o/p's are 1mc and 10mc switchable, the meter shows the loop voltages of the Pll's.
Accuracy as far as I can tell is as good as the Msf transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_20160606_223108.jpg
    IMG_20160606_223108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20160606_222950.jpg
    IMG_20160606_222950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back