Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Deviation and bandwidth in relation to data speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

I have two radio modules HM-TRP's and I ran a test where each of these were connected to PC's through serial port adapters. and when I hold down a key on the keyboard, its like the PC wants to receive the data but chokes every 20th or so byte by not printing the character it's supposed to receive. The same happens in the opposite direction. I could blame the PC's themselves but because I'm dealing with wireless modules, and because I have so many wireless electronics around me, I want to rule the radio modules out first.

My radio modules currently use the following settings:

Frequency: 915Mhz
Modulation data rate: 115200bps
Receive Bandwidth: 105Khz
Deviation: 35Khz
Output Power: +20dBm (maximum)
Uart data rate: 115200bps

The manual states I can set the Frequency Deviation anywhere from 10 to 160 Khz and I can set the Receive Bandwidth anywhere from 30 to 620 Khz.

I also use the converter found on the following page but using a 2.2uF capacitor instead of 100nF: http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/simpleSIO/ssio.htm

I'm just curious. because I have so many wireless around, would lowering the bandwidth help? or would changing the deviation help? I am trying to exchange data at 115200bps with these devices but if I can't then I'll try 57600bps instead.

It only happens when you're holding a key down? Not when you slowly tap? And not every nth character?

Have you tried checking any flow control signals to see if you're just overrunning?

Also, does it happen at 9600bps? (That would have been the first thing I tried before even posting). If 9600bps works just fine then I gather your airwaves are too noisy.

I use no flow control. when I tap slowly (with pause every second) the characters come out normal nearly every time. When I hold a key down, the error happens more often.

I want to try a higher data rate because I want to ideally exchange 1600 bytes of data in one second (or at least 800 bytes) and I don't think this is possible with a 9600 baud.

The key repeat rate is nowhere near your baud rate so I suspect noise. Try 9600 as suggested.

Edit, 800 bytes every 1/4 second is 3200 bytes per second. At 8 bits with a start and stop bit will require 32,000 baud. You can easily manage with 57.6k baud.

Mike.

Last edited:
Ok, so I decided to lower the baud of every device in the test from 115200bps to 38400bps and it turned out that the full data came out properly over a short distance. I'm still curious about the other settings I mentioned earlier.

I just ran the same test again but this time I moved the modules about 30 feet apart (up two flights of stairs) instead of 2 feet and I received nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back