Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

codmw2

Hi,

I am building a frequency detection to detect the following frequencies: 20kHz, 40kHz, 60kHz, and 80kHz.

I am using phototransistors to detect the light sources and have a transimpedance followed by a coupling circuit and a gain stage which then feeds into my bandpass filter which covers all four frequencies.

My circuit works but when i add a bit more gain to get a further distance (of about 6-8 feet) i start getting a lot of noise problems. I am just curious as how to get rid of my noise problems. The noise is causing the output waveform to change the frequency. And i have tried sheilding my phototransistors which electrical tape.

If anyone has any info. on how to get rid of the noise that would be greatful. By the way, I am using an LM837 op amp for my transimpedance stage. I have access to the LM837, LM741, and TL081 op amps.

Depends upon the source of the noise. What does it look like?

All electronic circuits have intrinsic noise (even a resistor) and there's only so much you can do to minimize it. If it's from the op amp, the LM837 is fairly low noise at 4.5nV(root)Hz, but you could try a very low noise device such as an AD797 which has <1nV(root)Hz noise (less than the noise of a 100Ω resistor).

Post a schematic of your circuit.

You could use a tone decoder based on the NE567 or CD4046.

Light dimmers and fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent light bulbs produce noise at the frequencies you are trying to detect.

Well I have actually tried to make use of the LM567 tone decoders and then seem to work fine but only at detecting the frequency within 1 foot and then moving the LED back to about 6-8 feet. But when i try to detect it first from 6-8 feet it does not read it. I have to bring the LED in then move it out slowly so it can be able to read it. I will try to get a schematic of my circuit up soon

The NE567 should be good to 500kHz so maybe you need an amplfier?

Do you need to distinguish between different frequencies?

You could set the NE567 to 80kHz and use a band pass filter and a non-linear circuit to generate harmonics so it triggers on any multiple of 20KHz up to 80kHz, that way you only need one tone decoder IC.

the only problem about using only one tone decoder is the bandwidth is only a maximum of 18% of the center frequency so i think i would still have to use multiple tone decoders. And i have already tried adding gain. But i will try later on today as I will be going to the lab to work on it.

No you don't, a single tone detector will do.

If you distort a 20kHz sine wave, you also get harmonics: 40kHz, 60kHz, 80kHz 100kHz etc.

You use a highpass filter with a sharp roll-off to stop it from detecting 10kHz and below which will also produce 20kHz, 30kHz, 40kHz ect.

Last edited:
I am using a 4th order chebychev I high pass filter but how does it distort the 20kHz to use it with only one tone decoder to get the harmonics?

You need so distort the signal after the filter.

This can be done using a non linear amplifier such as a common emitter amplifier driven to the point of clipping. You'll probably need to experiment a bit with the non-linear element to give you a rich enough source of both odd and even harmonics to trigger the tone generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back