Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free version of Proteus doesnt allow saving of schematics or libraries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

On the labcenter website, it states that you cannot save your work when using the free version of proteus. (neither can you print it).
Is this really true? That is very poor. How can you evaluate it if you cannot save stuff and come back to it?
Can you even create a new schematic symbol with the free version, as i presume the issue of not being able to save anything means that you cannot save library parts?

Labcenter is expensive... I have a pretty good package cost quite a bit of cash and annual subscriptions are dear... I can't do transient analysis... Its an add on... ( I don't use it, but for the money I thought it would be included)..

Apparently you can only use certain models for evaluation as well..

Labcenter is expensive... I have a pretty good package cost quite a bit of cash and annual subscriptions are dear... I can't do transient analysis... Its an add on... ( I don't use it, but for the money I thought it would be included)..

Apparently you can only use certain models for evaluation as well..
Hi I,

I am just looking into Proteus, but reading this has kind of put me off a bit. I dodn't mind paying a reasonable one off cost.

C.

The only thing that happens if you don't pay your subscription for Proteus is that you will no longer be able to receive software updates from them. You can still use the software.

Yeah.. Don't be put off.... You wouldn't need the package I have... Plus as Danny has said.. You don't need the subscriptions unless you move on.... Ie... If you use the pic18f4520, it will work forever... But I use the newest chips like the enhanced range pic16's... I need to keep it fresh!!

I wish that Proteus also simulate the old MOS6502 and 8085 chip.:D

My recent version also includes the PICAXE range of chip. COOL.....

Allen

Why don't you try VBB... Its a full real speed simulator... The pic 12/16/18 is only 39 dollars..
Hi I,

I've just spent a week getting to know MPLAB, where I saw Proteus. I've been using Oshonsoft and it's simulator for years quite happily, but keep getting blocked by it's occasional failings, this is why I'm changing.

Basically, I need a system similar to Oshonsoft, that has a simulator where I can watch variables, oscilloscope, LCD etc, while I run/step through the program. I don't ever want to make the effort that I'm making at the moment, because of future failings. It appears that MPLAB appears to be supported enough, to do this.

So VBB or MPLAB or another, which do you suggest?

C.

I'll not lie to you.... Proteus is at the top of the pile when it comes to simulation... Lots of peripherals.. But expensive..

If you knew ASM then Oshonsoft is basically free... MPLAB isn't real time. BUT!!! if you make a simple board and connect to MPLAB via pickit3, you have the same thing...

I use Proteus extensively... My hardware behaves exactly the same as in simulation..

What processor would you mainly use.?

If you use the pic18f2520 then you can use a number if simulators... GPsim is pretty good.. Free but debugger is for asm..

I'll not lie to you.... Proteus is at the top of the pile when it comes to simulation... Lots of peripherals.. But expensive..

If you knew ASM then Oshonsoft is basically free... MPLAB isn't real time. BUT!!! if you make a simple board and connect to MPLAB via pickit3, you have the same thing...

I use Proteus extensively... My hardware behaves exactly the same as in simulation..

What processor would you mainly use.?

If you use the pic18f2520 then you can use a number if simulators... GPsim is pretty good.. Free but debugger is for asm..

Hi I,

I don't know ASM, only BASIC at the moment, but it looks as though I have to learn 'C'

Oshonsoft was good, but as mentioned, it has problems, this is why I'm changing.

I use different PICs for different things.

Can you clarify line: If you knew ASM then Oshonsoft is basically free... MPLAB isn't real time. BUT!!! if you make a simple board and connect to MPLAB via pickit3, you have the same thing... ? If I connect Pickit3 to a simple board, will you clarify what it will do, please? Will it step through a program, while showing the inner workings?
C.

Okay! Proteus normally runs in "real time" This means you can test as if you are working on a real circuit..

MPLAB simulates slower than oshonsoft... BUT!! If you use an ICD you can use your own hardware as a simulator..

MikroE has a great ICD alternative to go with their extensive dev boards...

I have a cheap pic32 board (£10) I connect it to MikroE's ICD and I have a really good simulation with breakpoints, watch windows etc...

Okay! Proteus normally runs in "real time" This means you can test as if you are working on a real circuit..

MPLAB simulates slower than oshonsoft... BUT!! If you use an ICD you can use your own hardware as a simulator..

MikroE has a great ICD alternative to go with their extensive dev boards...

I have a cheap pic32 board (£10) I connect it to MikroE's ICD and I have a really good simulation with breakpoints, watch windows etc...
Hi I,
I'm trying to narrow down to the 'correct' choice, and you've added another 'Mikro E' :)

Is there a one choice that sounds best from what I've said. Or will MPLAB work as I wish, with whatever is needed?
C.

I'm just trying to show that there are many many choices... I'm sure that MPLAB and asm / C will work great for you..

Most of what I'm proposing give you free trails... It won't hurt to try them..

C is an easier language to move from platform to platform, so if you do learn you can play with many different systems..

You can step though code with MPLAB but they don't have any peripherals apart from UART and IO unless you use ICD..

I really apologise if I go on a bit but the correct tool makes all the difference...

Hi I,

From what I understand Oshonsoft is perhaps the only program, that will do what I need, in my price bracket. I would be happy to pay an extra donation for upkeep of the program, as it has given me a lot of help and pleasure. It's just a shame that its failures take effort to sort out. (And I have to rely on others to sort them out)

I'm not capable of trying more than one thing at a time. At the moment I'm working with MPLAB, and as you say it may be ok, we'll stick to that for now and see if it indeed does do what I want.

thanks, C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back