Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bye for now and a heart felt thank you for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked all over, was the [Solved] Flag thing something that has to be edited in or something you want to be added?

The [solved] flag is on another forum, EDA Board. Here's an example: https://www.edaboard.com/thread302633.html

Check out posts #54-56, above, to see how the suggestion arose for ETO.

BTW, I agree that saddling the moderators with adding [solved] flags would be a difficult, if not impossible task. My comment about moderators doing it seems to have been misinterpreted. What I said was, "To be really useful for the latter, however, one would need more consistency in its use, which would add to the burden of moderators." I can see no other way to get consistent use than to rely on someone other than the OP to do it. That is based on the fact that we can barely get OP's to say thank you, "like" a post, or say a post helped them, much less tell us their question has been answered. A brief perusal of EDABoard will confirm that may threads which may appear to us to have been solved, do not have the flag from the OP. So, who is going to volunteer to do it? That left me with the assumption that the moderators would be burdened with doing it, i.e., an impossible task.

There are, of course, other reasons to have the flag than as an aid for sorting searches.

John

Agreed, if something like that was implemented it would be an OP thing. I think if they didn't flag it [Solved] a senior member could, move it to a cue or something. After a time limit it would be flagged automatically.

Only the OP can open it back up. That would keep dead threads dead.

I don't think there are paid moderators out there. Even at a Monster.com's forum, there are volunteer moderators.

Anyone know the pay scale for moderators?

On edit ... I guess there are paid moderators.

Forum Moderator
We like to think of our forums as a Free-Speech Zone. And freedom works best at the point of a bayonet – or a “Delete Post” button. As Forum Moderator, it'll be your job to keep the forums safe and sanitary, while highlighting the posts that actually have something valuable to say. You'll slap the bad guys' hands and the good guys' backs. You'll have to shrug off insults and keep a level head no matter how badly the jerks act.

A moderator is expected to be the first line of defense for technical, customer service, and community, as well as any other type of issue that may arise. As a result, they are often the target of much ire and should maintain a thick skin and calm detachment from the community. A neutral stance is an absolute must and self-moderation skills are extremely important. Individuals considering the position should be aware that they will be exposed to anything ranging from verbal assaults to mature and grotesque imagery on a daily basis. They will also be expected to maintain longer hours as necessary, such as during woot-offs or during technical difficulties, as well as file daily reports. Additionally, moderators will be responsible for developing content, such as discussion starters and games, to better engage the community, as well as supporting marketing efforts.

Basic Qualifications
  • Two years community management experience
  • Familiarity with internet culture, such as memes, hashtagging, and other popular culture. (E.g. Doctor Who)
  • Ability to perform high volume moderation tasks with meticulous attention to detail.
  • Demonstrates effective communication skills.
  • Experience in internet skills, such as search, trouble ticketing, and bug reporting

Preferred Qualifications
  • Familiarity with Woot and online retail
  • Familiarity with SEO and tagging concepts
  • Experience with content marketing or customer engagement practices
  • Customer service experience
  • Ability to self-manage and self-motivate in the face of ambiguity

Yeah, that about sums up the moderation job. Nice average salary though ... 40k

Last edited:
Guaranteed, all will end in a "train smash". People like alecT should rather be approached... thing is that is what happened to E. E is an excellent Mod..but his sharing of knowledge has suffered due to having to Moderate and help at the same time.

tvtech,
My sharing of knowledge has not suffered in anyway by being a moderator.
I am baffled, bewildered and bemused why you have come to this erroneous conclusion.:stop:
I would suggest you look thru the ETO quizzes and Tools section, all this work was done while being a Moderator.

If I see that a thread is being answered by others, I 'try' to resist the temptation of posting further to a 'solved' thread.

Like all members from time to time I have to deal with overriding priorities in domestic/work or personal problems.

With regard to the nomination of Moderators for ETO, I would say thats best left for ElectroMaster to decide.

Eric

How is the "solved flag" going to work when there are so many posters that never respond past the original post? They ask a question then disappear.

How is the "solved flag" going to work when there are so many posters that never respond past the original post? They ask a question then disappear.

I dont think any 'solution' would work for 100% of the time.
Usually the orphaned thread gets lost amongst the newer threads.
E

I hate the "solved" flag. It kills the conversation.

It doubles as an acknowledge of responses and saying "I am done" with my need of help. As far as I understand conversation could keep going but could make not sense.

I like the Threads when the OP doesn't respond at all, they either found an answer elsewhere or it's above their heads. Suddenly members begin the process of the solving the question. The way I look at it, somebody will get something out of it, even though it was orphaned.

Orphaned can still be on-topic. So, notifying moderators that there is post on an orphaned thread might help to get the post on it's own topic as quickly as possible only if needed.

When I had limited "powers" on another forum, I did correct typos especially in titles. It just makes the forum more professional looking.

Some of us come from an age when the quality of a reference book was measured by the completeness of its index. Two of the things that bother me most are typos and text speak in the title. Our search engine is not very sophisticated, and such errors only make it worse. True, we can use Google and restrict it to ETO (i.e., add "site:electro-tech-online.com" (no quotes) to the search line), but that is not always convenient. I wish there were a simple way to require correct spelling in the titles.

John

I would not mind given permission to be able to edit other's posts to correct spelling (edit posts). Although, I would like to see the "reason edited" returned. I don't take a perfectionist's attitude. It does annoy me. I do believe EM has a post or something somewhere that he would like misspellings corrected.

I think it matters the most in the titles as John states.

It does annoy me. I do believe EM has a post or something somewhere that he would like misspellings corrected.

I'm lucky just to get all the words needed in a halfway meaningful sentence. Most become un-intellegiable with all my missing….? :confused:

I have been working on my spelling though, It's just those damn sentences without the :confused: in them.

When I had limited "powers" on another forum, I did correct typos especially in titles. It just makes the forum more professional looking.

hi kiss,
I often correct or expand a Title on a new Thread.
Mainly: Help me.!,, Why?,,,I have a problem, Urgent, etc..... the list goes on.!

There is doubtful Thread Title at this time: 'Planet Monitoring System', the post text asks for help in 'Planet' monitoring, but the meaning would be better as 'Plant' monitoring.:rolleyes:

I would never correct the spelling in the post text or change the meaning of any technical text, I think that would be too intrusive.

Eric

Agreed. So, what if someone wrote "Woltage" rather than "Voltage" in the text body?

Thats a good question, wish I had an equally good answer.;)
The problem is, how far do we go.?

Perhaps the members should express what their thoughts are on this matter.:nailbiting:
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back