Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For what loads, active power turns negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an arc, it may mean when an incremental increase in V brings an incremental decrease in I.

Don't really understand your question. Where have you found the term "negative active power"? Are you referring to a "negative power factor"?

The only thing that makes sense is a generator.
Negative active power is when the 'load' is an electrical generator.

If you mean great inductive loads, you need read some about reactive power , reactive power compensation. May be it's no the better article :**broken link removed**

Don't really understand your question. Where have you found the term "negative active power"? Are you referring to a "negative power factor"?

If AP = V*I * PF, where V*I >=0, then AP < 0 if and only if PF < 0.
Didnt think i'd need to explain it.

If AP = V*I * PF, where V*I >=0, then AP < 0 if and only if PF < 0.
Didnt think i'd need to explain it.

If the power factor is negative then the average power is flowing the wrong way. As Sceadwian says, the load is a generator (or at least something capable of supplying power).

e.g. your electricity company supplying power to your house would see a negative power factor if you have a solar supply and it is supplying power to the grid.

Alphacat, any electric motor under the right conditions can produce energy rather than use it, so any electric motor as a load in theory can produce power rather than use it. Under any normal circumstances however motors draw power not generate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back