Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For the ones who knew what were CASSETTES

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
This was THE first programmable electronic computer, 10 off made during World War 2.

British, colossus computer, Circa 1944

1944_colossus_lar&#.jpg

Last edited:
When I was at college they had a computer in a room, an entire room! - it was valve based, never saw it running though. The ONLY time we did anything about computers was with a teletype connected to the Open University mainframe.

well you sound like an old chap yourself.. how bout it? :D

Let's see... Hmm, I guess so as I turned 60 a few weeks ago. My interest in electronics dates back to the late 50s as my dad was an electrical engineer and the trons just captivated me. I was the kid using paper route money to buy a CK722 and 1N34. :)

Eniac fascinated me to no end especially the use of dual triodes for logic states. :)

Ron

OMG I should call you gramps Ron then... :D

LMAO and Eric has me beat by how many years? Heck, I mentioned a 1N34 diode but I bet Eric has used an actual cat whisker. :)

Ron

LMAO and Eric has me beat by how many years? Heck, I mentioned a 1N34 diode but I bet Eric has used an actual cat whisker. :)

Ron

hi Ron,
How did you know I had used a cats whisker.:eek:
My dear old Dad used to build radio's in the 1930's, thats where I caught the electro-bug from.

Used to get BBC radio on 1500 mtrs during the 40's with a very long aerial and a whisker.

I did have some mid 1930 Electronics magazines 'Camms Comics' radio construction.

Last edited:
hi Ron,
How did you know I had used a cats whisker.:eek:
My dear old Dad used to build radio's in the 1930's, thats where I caught the electro-bug from.

Used to get BBC radio on 1500 mtrs during the 40's with a very long aerial and a whisker.

I did have some mid 1930 Electronics magazines 'Camms Comics' radio construction.

Oh yeah, I was serious about that. You had a cats whisker poking a chunk of rock looking for that sweet spot. While I, being much, much younger had the benefit of a 1N34 germanium diode. Look Ma, no battery and music in the headphones. A good ground and an antenna. I built my first ham radio station with all the great WWII surplus available. Growing up in NYC I had plenty of radio stations. :)

Ron

give a bedtime story please gramps... "once upon a time a transistor..." :p okay I got carried away.. sorry. Bet you have built a diode out of a razor blade, eh?

hi viz,
You forgot to list the 'cork' thats needed to make a home made transistor,:p

Two pieces of razor blade, one broken Ge diode, one cork and a 100nF cap.

You get a gain of about 3 if you have done the job right.

hi viz,
You forgot to list the 'cork' thats needed to make a home made transistor,:p

Two pieces of razor blade, one broken Ge diode, one cork and a 100nF cap.

You get a gain of about 3 if you have done the job right.

Hmm I'll keep that bookmarked.. You'll never know what'll happen next.. Thanks grampa Eric!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back