Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Focal Length & Magnification

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hi.
**broken link removed**

I am missing something here. I read that a shorter focal length means higher lens power (more magnification), but then how come all the shortest focal length lenses on this page have the shortest minimum distance and the largest field of view? Shouldnt the higher magnification lens have the smallest field of view (not sure about the minimum object distance)?

I think Wikipedia is just wrong about shorter focal length = higher power (magnification?).

Last edited:
The "shortest minimum distance" refers to the minimum focusing distance. That is the closest an object can get to the lens and still be in focus. This is a function of the lens mount. If you can increase the distance between the lens and the image plane then you can bring the object nearer to the lens. Macro photographers use Extension Tubes to allow objects to be brought very close to the lens.

A short focal length lens will have a wider angle of view - thats why they're called 'wide angle' lenses. They will also have a short focus distance.

"Long Focus" lenses have a narrow angle of view and a long focus distance

The power of a lens is its ability to bend light. The more powerful a lens the more it can bend light.

Lens power isn't everything, the first microscopes (by Anthony Leeuwenhoek)
were powerful but also small (water drop size).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back