Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Foam robot tires that can mount to servos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I am looking for foam robot tires that can mount to servos. Any links please?

JUst buy any foam wheel with a plastic hub (like from Dubro), drill through it to match a servo horn and bolt on the servo horn. Your local RC hobby store will have lots.

Last edited:
Looks like the nearby hobby store has plenty of them. COOL.

Just make sure you drill the mounting holes so they are centered...or else...wobble. lol I did that.

The big problem with using servo's as wheels for robots is the deadzone. Once you glue the pot down you're stuck with the 'center' position, and with temperature and voltage that center position can drift enough to cause the wheels to verrryy slowly turn requiring re-trimming periodically. Good for a quick project, but a more serious robot would be better off with one of those nice double gearbox/motor sets on the Pololu site, they're very reasonably priced. Only thing you need at that point is an h-bridge.

Last edited:
Those 3V gearbox motors pair beautifully with most bipolar H-Bridge ICs as the 1.4V drop makes a 5V source ideal. Much easier to use PWM hardware (set & forget) over Servo software.

Krumlink has has a Tamiya gearbox. I had him buy it for the robot he never built :(

I used him for roger and he worked great. This robot is a completely different style than other robots. It will have 4 wheels that are all powered, and each is connected to a servo that steers it.

Not a problem! One of the things that makes servo motors so easy to work with is that there's a lot of crap designed for them:
Nubotics Products

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back