Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtbiker1824

Hi everyone,
I am a mechanical engineer by trade but I like to dabble in electronics. I am trying to design a circuit that will control a relay using FM transmitters/receivers. The way I plan to do this is to have the transmitter transmit 8 bits of data. The receiver side will have 8 dip switches that each connect to an XNOR gate and the second input of the XNOR gate will be the 8 bit signal after going through a SIPO register. Each output from the 8 XNOR gates will go into the input of and AND gate. With this setup it will allow me to compare the 8 bit signal transmitted via FM with a programmed key in each receiver circuit. So just to recap, I have an 8 bit signal coming in which gets compared to a key in the receiver circuit and if each bit agrees a logical 1 is passed through. Now I want to take this logical 1 and have it turn on and off a relay. If a 1 is detected the relay will turn on and if ANOTHER 1 is detected the relay will turn off. My problem is that I do not have a latching relay so I was thinking about using a T-Flip Flop. Since I won't have a clock pulse I was wondering if I could use the logical 1 coming from the AND gate as the clock pulse, essentially connecting the clock pulse pin of the T-Flip Flop to the T pin.

I want to avoid using a microcontrller to process the 8 bit signal so this is why I am using all the gates. As I stated I'm not very familiar with all the IC's out there so this is just me trying to make the described circuit with what I know.

Please let me know if there is a better way to do this and if I can have the CP pin connected to the T pin and have the flip flop still work. I want to have about 10-20 different receivers so there has to be some way of comparing the transmitted signal to a preset key for each receiver circuit.

The obvious solution would be to use a microcontroller, and it would be folly to do a 1970's version with loads of IC's.

However, if you don't have the facilities or skill to program microconrollers?, then check out the Holtek range of encoder/decoder chips - they make some to do just what you're after.

I was going to use a microcontroller for the transmitter portion, but I want to keep the receivers relatively inexpensive. Do you know of any cheap microcontrollers that are easy to program? I am very familiar with the arduino but I feel like $9 for the ATMega is rather expensive plus I want to keep the power consumption as small as possible.
Do you have any specific Encoder/decoder chip recommendations? I guess something like a garage door opener circuit is what I'm after. Also how would I control the toggle function of the relay?

I was going to use a microcontroller for the transmitter portion, but I want to keep the receivers relatively inexpensive. Do you know of any cheap microcontrollers that are easy to program? I am very familiar with the arduino but I feel like $9 for the ATMega is rather expensive plus I want to keep the power consumption as small as possible.
Do you have any specific Encoder/decoder chip recommendations? I guess something like a garage door opener circuit is what I'm after. Also how would I control the toggle function of the relay?

You can get PIC's far cheaper than that, for that matter you can get AVR's far cheaper as well.

Like I said, check the Holtek range - they probably do what you want - check here for some examples.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back