Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flux cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittuck

Hi,

I have a quick question, i am working on my new mircomouse and have got the the point that i am 'nearly' finished.

There is a lot of flux residue left on the board, and i want to get rid of it. Now i have some flux cleaner so i am going to use it.

The question is, will i need to 'rinse' off any residue before soldering more components to it (as it is very flammable)...

Its alcohol based, and i assume that's whats flammable and so evaporates fairly quickly, but i don't want to start soldering something which may go up in flames!!!

Thanks,

- Martyn

pittuck said:
Hi,

I have a quick question, i am working on my new mircomouse and have got the the point that i am 'nearly' finished.

There is a lot of flux residue left on the board, and i want to get rid of it. Now i have some flux cleaner so i am going to use it.

The question is, will i need to 'rinse' off any residue before soldering more components to it (as it is very flammable)...

Its alcohol based, and i assume that's whats flammable and so evaporates fairly quickly, but i don't want to start soldering something which may go up in flames!!!

It should evaporate very quickly, and heat (as from a soldering iron) won't ignite it anyway.

But I am rather puzzled as to why you have so much flux about?.

i was soldering a TQFN component using the flooding method, and it was my first time using lead free solder and first time using new soldering iron.

there is not a lot, but i would like to clean the bits around the componenets.

Have to wait now, the smokers have taken over the 'corner' outside where i can use this stuff. ;)

Thanks for the reply,

- MArtyn

Alcohol works, but acetone or lacquer thinner is a heckuva lot faster. You just have to be more careful of the fumes and plastics that may be on the board. About the only boards you can't use those solvents on (you're limited to alcohol) are the polysulfone boards that were used in the attenuators of 1970/80-era Tektronix oscilloscopes.

Dean

ok thanks,

i will wander into the field next door and make note of the wind direction and spray a test area ;)

pittuck said:
ok thanks,

i will wander into the field next door and make note of the wind direction and spray a test area ;)

You want a small stiff bristled brush as well, spray the board and brush the flux off - to finish flush the board well with the alcohol.

At work I use MicroCare ProClean, which has an external brush/trigger connected to the aerosol. It actually sprays through the centre of the brush. As it's not pure alcohol, I flush the board afterwards with Electronic Safety Solvent, which evaporates completely.

At work I use MicroCare ProClean, which has an external brush/trigger connected to the aerosol. It actually sprays through the centre of the brush. As it's not pure alcohol, I flush the board afterwards with Electronic Safety Solvent, which evaporates completely.

Hi Nigel,

just out of curiosity what do you do at work, i.e what do you do for a living? Hope i am not too nosey :)

thanks

andy

zachtheterrible said:
alcohol works great for me.

Works great for me too Zach but it doesn't do much for my electronics work as after a few it gets a bit blurry.

Sworry couldn't resist that :twisted:

Cheers Bryan :D

pittuck said:
Have to wait now, the smokers have taken over the 'corner' outside where i can use this stuff. ;)
- MArtyn

What a pity Carbon Tetrachloride is no longer available.
That would shift your flux, and the smokers.
One whiff of that through the cigarette and they would be gasping on the floor with phosgene poisoning!

JimB

pittuck said:
take it u dont like smokers then?

Generally, as long as they dont do it where I am it is OK.
However, you get the ones who just plain stink even when they are not smoking.
Makes you want to vomit.

JimB

bryan1 said:
zachtheterrible said:
alcohol works great for me.

Works great for me too Zach but it doesn't do much for my electronics work as after a few it gets a bit blurry.

Sworry couldn't resist that :twisted:

Cheers Bryan :D

I mean rubbing alcohol, not liquor alcohol!! Although vodka is clear just like alcohol. So let me get this straight, you douse your board in vodka and then then get wasted on the vodka? I can see how your vision gets blurry :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Sorry couldn't resist :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back