Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flow Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry dont think any of them programs are any thing to do with this card sorry for waisting your time but the card is instaled and working

Yeah, I looked at it and it made absolutely no sense. I was like null modem? Fine but what the hell are they talking about? :) Nope, that stuff did not relate to what you have.

What you will need to do is find yourself a software type familiar with IO devices and create something similar to what I threw together to work with the card you have. Before you are done you could end up with a complete brew managment system. You are really into something good with this thinking.

Ron

Thanks ...so I need to get someone that writes software could you give me any idea where to look or should I just Google it ?.... once again thanks for your time

Attachments

• read me.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 321
Now that file makes sense and leads to this sort of stuff which is what I was getting at as to developer packages.

What I believe you need is a software development engineering type. Based on reading the text file you want someone who can develop using C++ or Visual Basic. Doing this is not difficult but requires someone who can develop in C++ or VB and also a understanding of DIO devices. If I were your neighbor I would be all over this as it is a cool project and I would work for beer too! :) Unfortunately with me in Cleveland, Ohio USA things won't work.

What you want really is as we saw very doable and not that hard to write the code for. Let us know how it progresses. Whoever writes this software should have the IO device . Also note in my link and your text document:

SeaIO currently includes drivers for Windows 98/2000/ME/NT/XP. It supports the Relay and Digital I/O family of products. This family of drivers has a common SeaIO API (application programmer interface) that is implemented in a Windows dynamic link library (DLL). The API is found in the SeaIO Help file and gives programmers access to our products from multiple Windows-based development platforms such as Visual C++, and Visual Basic. Our goal is to provide the developer with a single, high-level programming interface that will function with a variety of hardware products across multiple operating systems.

Things end with Windows XP, so keep that in mind.

Ron

Last edited:
You asked me to keep you up to date with the project Just had a price for software……
[B]“You are looking in the region of £5,000.00 for a basic system – up to £15,000.00 if you need everything doing.
This of course does not include hardware.”[/
B]

Think it may be put no hold for about 300 years should give me time to save up …lol…
If I ever get a bar in Cleveland I will let you know and we will do it then
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
That is such BS. For a developer who knows what they are doing they could knock out an advanced version of what I literally threw together in I would guess less than 8 hours. Hell if someone charged about $50 USD per hour that would be less than a $500 USD project. You are looking at a simple side project not a major corporate development project where a billing rate of $250 an hour might be acceptable. What you are looking for is someone with enough programming skills to put together some simple code. While I try to be a good little capitalist and believe a business should make money I do not see gouging people for a simple project.

Somewhere buried in my junk around here I have a paddle wheel flow meter that outputs pulses. The ***** is that it is 3/4" US standard pipe thread (3/4" NPT) with a pulse output. I should find that damn thing and screw with this a little further. I also have some solenoids (valves). I could at least screw with a proof of concept. Give me some time as I have quite a bit going and we can maybe let me do something and then try to bridge the gap across the pond.

Ron

Wow thanks I am willing to pay for your time and any parts you need to complete the project just let me know what you and I will send it by paypal or whatever ……… the flow meters have just arrived … got them of ebay about £15 each if you have the time just get what you need and I will pay for it ......I really hope we can do this..... if you do get to the point where you need to remote in to my computer I have on problem with that whatsoever

Once again Thanks

Don't worry about it for now. I just see this as an interesting project. As to my time and any cost? I don't sell my time to forum members, the company I work for thanks me twice a month for work, this is enjoyment. :)

I know we have a few UK forum members including a few who program in VB as a hobby as I do so I can always bother them later. Once I get a decent working proof of concept using stuff I already have we can move along. While busy, I can make time to work n this as time allows. I have a few DIO devices laying around as well as other hardware so I only need to find it in this unorganized mess. :)

Ron

Ho here I am again ....... just trying to understand a bit of this software jargon can any one tell me why I cant compile this in dev c++ …….. spent about 2 hours reading help file ...

#include <iostream.h>

int main();
{
cout <<"Hello World!\n";
return 0;
}

You can write it in C++ matter of fact a few post back I wrote:

What I believe you need is a software development engineering type. Based on reading the text file you want someone who can develop using C++ or Visual Basic.

Not being a programmer type most of what I do is done in VB only because I like the simplicity. Matter of fact, if you want to give it a go, I suggest you take a lookie here. As you can see Microsoft offers a collection of express versions of their developer software free.

SeaIO currently includes drivers for Windows 98/2000/ME/NT/XP. It supports the Relay and Digital I/O family of products. This family of drivers has a common SeaIO API (application programmer interface) that is implemented in a Windows dynamic link library (DLL). The API is found in the SeaIO Help file and gives programmers access to our products from multiple Windows-based development platforms such as Visual C++, and Visual Basic. Our goal is to provide the developer with a single, high-level programming interface that will function with a variety of hardware products across multiple operating systems.

You can also download SeaIO and give it a shot as they offer IO code samples. While I absolutely suck at C++ we must have some members who write code in it. Beyond "Hello World" that is. :) Give it a shot.

Ron

It was a co-incident that I stumbled on this thread. I too have just been looking at (I think exactly the same) flowmeters on eBay. Although my need was slightly different, the data capture is about the same. I was looking to create a flow monitoring similar to Brulines in the UK. I was gonna go down the Arduino route and have managed to create a basic test script that reads the pulses from the flow meter and outputs the count on a serial interface. You could actually use the Arduino for the counting and the output for the valve and another input to reset the counter.

Let me know if this is of interest and I will keep you updated on my progress.

Tom

Hi Tom

I would be curious how it goes and what you come up with.

Ron

Thanks tom I have spent the past few week trying to learn c++ to try to get my head round how this can be done I would be very grateful if you could let me know what you have so far as it would probably save me loads of time thanks

where in uk are you ?

well it looks like i have cracked it thanks for all you help Ron and Tom the answer was arduino as soon as i get it up and running i will let you know how i did it me thinks a video on you tube wound
be the best way to show you ….. the idea as changed I little instead for 4 lager taps there will be 1 .
you come int the pub pay for 8 pints + deposit (for box) you are given a small box with 8 led’s on it and a button when you press the button at first all led’s will light up indicating you have 8 full pints left you plug “your box” into the bar and pull your first pint then unplug the box and keep it with them if you press the button again one of the lights will have gone out second pint two lights out and so on when you have pulled 8 pints the box not allow any more lager to be pulled until it is reset ……………..in the box is the arduino and a rechargeable 9v battery …… this is the code that works it ……I will keep you posted

int outputPin = 13;
int inputPin =10;
int fullPin =8;
int aPin = 1;
int bPin = 2;
int cPin = 3;
int dPin = 4;
int ePin = 5;
int fPin = 6;
int gPin = 7;
int maxCount =1600;

void setup()
{

digitalWrite (aPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (bPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (cPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (dPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (ePin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (fPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (gPin, HIGH);
digitalWrite (fullPin, HIGH);
pinMode(aPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(bPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(cPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(dPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(ePin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(fPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(fullPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(gPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(outputPin,OUTPUT);
pinMode(inputPin, INPUT);
}

void loop()
{
static int lastState = 0;
static int count = 0;
int newState = digitalRead(inputPin);

if (count >1)

{
digitalWrite (fullPin, LOW);
}

if (count >200)

{
digitalWrite (aPin, LOW);
}

if (count >400)

{
digitalWrite (bPin, LOW);
}

if (count >600)

{
digitalWrite (cPin, LOW);
}

if (count >800)

{
digitalWrite (dPin, LOW);
}

if (count >1000)

{
digitalWrite (ePin, LOW);
}

if (count >1200)

{
digitalWrite (fPin, LOW);
}
if (count >1400)

{
digitalWrite (gPin, LOW);
}

if (newState != lastState)

{
count ++;
lastState = newState;
if (count > maxCount * 2)
{
digitalWrite(outputPin, HIGH);
}
}
}

Last edited:
Perhaps some security code needed to prevent some whizzkid plugging the box into his laptop and topping up his credit to get free beer?

I am really pleased this worked out for you and using a uC to boot (no pun there). Always remember that good brew is a gift from the Gods as I enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon Stella. :) With the exception of Lager brewed by small micro breweries or home brewed, beer in the US sucks. It's like puppy piss. Much like my ability to program in C.

Ron

Last edited:
Congratulations! That was so cool. This project shows considerable time and effort, I really like how it turned out, great job. Now market it.

Ron

hello here it is let me know what you think........

I just stumbled on this today because I am interested in flow metering - but for much smaller flow rates. I haven't been able to find any suitable flow meters for what I want.

Your YouTube demo looks very different from what you described in Post #55 as the customer now seems to be given a regular swipe card?

Have you any experience yet of how accurate the flow meters are? One thing that would concern me is if the customer could persuade the beer to trickle from the tap it might not register on the meter (if the flow rate was below 1 litre / minute)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back