Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing LED in a drumstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks weegee, that quite a good idea. my problem with that still comes doiwn to weight. If the cell doesn't have to far to go, it will be too sensitive, if it has quite far to go, it would probably change the weight of the stick to much, making the sticks less easy to wave around manically (which is what drummers seem to do).

Thanks for the idea.

I think this project was doomed from the start, but I'll let you know if it works

Tim

sensitivities on both these ideas are based upon the strength of the springs used. I would estimate that the second idea would weigh a maximum of 10 or 12 gramms inc buttoncell, so if placed properly you might be able to balance the stick out again based on how much you've drilled out in the first place.

In the pic below A is the button cell, B is a SMT Resistor, C is a SMT LED.

D: By adjusting the diameter of this coller you adjust senitivity

E: By adjusting the strength of this spring you adjust sensitivity

This would give you a very simple flash when it hits something circuit, that is very light, and very cheap.

just an idea - and the board could be made much smaller, that was just a quik pic knocked up in paint.

Attachments

• drum.gif
    drum.gif
    3 KB · Views: 469
gerty said:
Wonder about making the drumsticks out of fiberglass or some other light but strong tubing ????

I have considered this, but I don't think that the sticks would sound very good when used (presumably there is a reason why drum sticks are made out of wood...?) Anyone know if there is a good reason?

Tim.

A couple of years ago I built some flashers for large flies that a fisherman might use. I used T1 size flashing LED's and a lithium battery that was about 3/16" in diameter, the part number was LITH-29 and the source was Dantona Battery. I have a friend who really likes to tie flies and is an avid fisherman. We were able to make some with two flashing LED's for eyes. He used them mostly for demonstation purposes, as imersing them even in tap water they didn't work too well because of the uninsulated construction and the impurities in the the water. But I tell you incase it will give you some ideas about batteries and LED's

Wood might just be used because it's traditional.

I've hollowed out a dowel to insert batteries. It's not easy; I had to cut it down the side, route out the insides with a hemispherical router bit and a specialized jig, and epoxy it back together.

Batteries also tend to shake around inside of a wood casing.

You might have better results if you keep batteries & electronics in the bottom where they don't affect the swing so much. Maybe make the holder out of fiberglass, and make a socket for the breakable wooden part of the stick? Or maybe put it on your wrist and just run wires?

Coolest solution would be accelerometers making a different flash depending on how it's used.

Oznog said:
Or maybe put it on your wrist and just run wires?
hmm, not a bad idea. I reckon I would still have to drill out some of the stick, so that the wires didn't have to run along the outside of the stick, but it would still avoid me having to find space for the battery. its probably the simplest solution.

Oznog said:
Coolest solution would be accelerometers making a different flash depending on how it's used.
Maybe thats getting a bit too complicated, for me anyway.

Thanks for the ideas

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back