Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fix my VTVM

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

You may have meter static build up. This would give you very unreliable meter readings. Never polish the plastic meter face! It creates a significant static charge. The Meter is a very good capacitor. The plastic face cover, the metal plate, and the plastic meter back make a dandy capacitor that can randomly freeze the needle. Carefully!!!! pry off the cover and wash it in mild dishwash detergent. Air dry!!!! Run a #2 graphite pencil around the perimeter of the meter cover. The graphite can bleed off some of the charge. You may notice a rough dull coating on the lower portion and around the meter. This was the origional esd control applied at the factory. Also if the 4 meter mounting bolts are insulated from the metal plate by tape this adds to the capacitive effect. Remove the tape and use a washer to raise the screw head grounding the metal meter plate to the screw to the chasis. Well worth the try. Good luck.

Last edited:
Did finally get it to work

Seems I had changed a resistor and must have forgotten to soldier one end into circuit board.

John

Seems I had changed a resistor and must have forgotten to soldier one end into circuit board.

John

Well done! I bet you are glad it's back to it's good old self again!
I love my VTVM, there is just nothing quite like it for valve amp work...

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back