Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First Sch Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course!!!!!.... :( no
Sorry.
I forgot to ask why the gates of the Mosfets are connected to ground.
Disconnect the gates from ground.
Since the PNP transistors never turn off then the P-channel Mosfets never turn on.

You need NPN level-shifting transistors to turn the PNP transistors on and resistors from their bases to +12V to turn them off. But then the output logic will be inverted.

Last edited:
Sorry audio for the frustration my incompetence must be causing you but I simply don't understand why the PNP transistors never turn off? Is my problem in that I'm using PnP?

I've discovered this little puppy https://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/transistor_drivers.htm
Unfortunately I'm starting to think that a lot of the information I'm coming across is either wrong or over simplified. Would it be possible to confirm the validity of this sites information.

A transistor turns off when the base voltage is near the emitter voltage. But the emitter voltage of both PNP transistors is +12V and the base resistor voltages never go higher than only +3.3V. So the transistors are never turned off.

Your simple tutorial shows the collector of an NPN transistor turning on a PNP darlington transistor. The resistors built into the darlington from base to emitter turns it off. The NPN transistor can be turned on and off by your 3.3V powered MCU.

I thought that was the whole difference between a transistor and a fet. Voltage vs current. Now transistors are current aswel?!!?

The base voltage of a normal transistor must be 0.5V to 0.8V higher than the emitter voltage for base current to flow which turns on the transistor. When the base to emitter voltage is 0.5V or less then the base current in the transistor is very low and the transistor is barely turned on and is almost turned off.

A Mosfet has an insulated gate that draws no current. The Mosfet turns on when the gate to source voltage is about 10V and it turns off when the gate to source voltage is 0V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back