Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuper

Hey all - wanted to say thanks for answering various questions I've raised in the past.

I've created my first little project. An Atari Punk Console. The circuit was originally published by Forest M Mims III back in the early eighties. It's a stepped tone generator, or more simply "it makes a bunch of cool sounds by turning a couple of knobs!".

This was the first circuit I built from scratch without a printed PCB. The first attempt I made used two 555 timers but I could not get that working so I decided to start over and use a single 556 instead.

**broken link removed**

I happen to have a bunch of Forrest books and used the original schematic he posted since i found it easier to read. The above is just for reference. His circuit also called for two identical .01 uf caps so that is what i used, although I'm thinking of trying a .001 uf since alot of the atari punk posts seem to use that. Might give a more interesting sound.

I also hooked up a 10k audio pot to a headphone jack since I'm making this for a friend who is into electronic Music. I had a 100k audio taper but the 10k worked way better.

I'm thinking also of adding a opamp on the output configured as a voltage follower with unity gain and hear how that sounds. A friend who does audio electronics professionally suggested I give that a try.

I've included pics. I've noticed i made a mistake setting up the audio pot so I will fix that later when I have time. I'm going to put all of this in a enclosure and I'll post pics when that is done too.

Cheers,
Fuper

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    491.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    474.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 168
Guess my project is pretty boring!

Oh well.. I'm going to clean it up and make a sequencer next...

I liked his percussion synthesizer which was just a twin t osc' with variable gain (damping factor) and frequency. It was a pain in the neck to though, I recommend using multiturn pots.

post the schematic so that we can see it-do not b scared......

Here's the schematic.

I've split the pots into two resistors to make it easier to adjust.

Add an LM386 amplifier, a speaker and off you go.

The original project used the LM741 which I recommend replacing with the TL801/82.

It can even be re-designed for single supply operation.
**broken link removed**

Here's your circuit redesigned for a single supply.

You should upload the attachments rather than using a separate host which will render this thread meaningless if it goes down.

To attach a schematic, click on advanced and click on the manage attachments button.

Attachments

• Singl Sply synth.GIF
    Singl Sply synth.GIF
    5.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Here's your circuit redesigned for a single supply.

You should upload the attachments rather than using a separate host which will render this thread meaningless if it goes down.

To attach a schematic, click on advanced and click on the manage attachments button.
I couldn't get the attachment thing to work.

This is probably because I post from work and the proxy I use doesn't work with the attachments feature.

EDIT:

fuper,

Sorry I've hijacked your thread, your project looks pretty good - post the schematic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back