Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

first electronics project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that indicator will work.
If you want to use the switches you showed in your firs post, they are only rated for 12 volts DC. You can get a 12 volt relay and turn it on with that switch.
How well can you solder?

Haha, i have no idea what else to use!

i can solder pretty well...but i still don't really know how the relay would get wired into all of this.

Next question is going to be - How much are you willing to spend on this project? Those realys are almost 10 bucks a pop, and you will need 1 for every light you want independant control over. You will still need the switches, an enclosure, wire, a power cord, fuse/circuit breaker, electrical outlets (unless you want to hard wire the lights to the control - I wouldn't) a DC power supply (Mike's suggestion of a wall wart is a good one - these are free if you look around in the trash and close to free at second hand stores).

Its always amazing how fast the cost of a simple project like this can add up.

Benny you might want to look at a site like All electronics or The electronic Goldmine for some of these parts. Radio Shack is Uber expensive.

Here is a schematic of what you will have to do.

Attachments

• Party Lights.jpg
    Party Lights.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 105
I know there are some 4 channel remote control relay units that you could use to turn on/off lights. Actually, I think you can get them to control a whole lot more circuits if you want.

I want to say the one I used can handle 5A per relay which shouldn't be a problem for your lights but you'll use what looks like a car alarm remote instead of your box. If you like the box, thats cool but if it's for presentation purposes for other people, you could use a little misdirection. Keep one hand in your pocket with the remote and the other hand pointing and snapping at the lights you want turned on and hey, it's magic. :)

Yeah, takes several minutes for a fog machine to get up to temperature.

BUT, there is a separate switch for the pump. Could you run the heater ahead of time, then hook the pump to the epic switch?

Next question is going to be - How much are you willing to spend on this project? Those realys are almost 10 bucks a pop, and you will need 1 for every light you want independant control over. You will still need the switches, an enclosure, wire, a power cord, fuse/circuit breaker, electrical outlets (unless you want to hard wire the lights to the control - I wouldn't) a DC power supply (Mike's suggestion of a wall wart is a good one - these are free if you look around in the trash and close to free at second hand stores).

Its always amazing how fast the cost of a simple project like this can add up.
I don't want independant control over any of them. I want the lights to all go on when all three switches are on and the big pushbutton is pressed. The schematic looks fairly simple, but it looks like each switch controls its own outlet...which is not what I want.

Okay.... so what do the 3 switches do then? I am confused.:confused:

I was thinking each switch controlled a type of light.

Like -

SW1 - Strobe light

SW2 - Black Light

SW3 - Disco Ball

Something like that.

Do you want it set up so that nothing will come on until all 3 switches are on?

I don't see the reason for something like this.

Just put all three switches in series for that.

Yea I just need them all in series. The switches just make it looks badass. I guess a better way to describe it, without all 3 switches in the ON position, the button doesnt work, and the button turns everything on at the same time.

Thats a bit simpler yet then. :)

You will only need one relay, but it will have to be a bigger one, able to handle the total current of all the lights added together.

Like Duffy said, the switces will just get wired in series, meaning SW1 will supply power to SW2 and so on, down the line to the epic button.

Using double pole, single throw switches, you can make the LEDs come in in any order the switches are thrown. One pole of each will be used for the relay and the other pole for the LED.

Thats a bit simpler yet then. :)

You will only need one relay, but it will have to be a bigger one, able to handle the total current of all the lights added together.

Like Duffy said, the switces will just get wired in series, meaning SW1 will supply power to SW2 and so on, down the line to the epic button.

Using double pole, single throw switches, you can make the LEDs come in in any order the switches are thrown. One pole of each will be used for the relay and the other pole for the LED.
yes that sounds exactly like what i want to do. is it possible to wire both the LED and the next switch/button up to a spst switch, or is that a noob mistake?

also, in terms of the relay, im not familiar with them at all...so what exactly am i looking for/how would that figure into the circuit?

I don't think you need the relay, so long as all the switches are rated for the maximum current. The relay was because we thought you wanted something more complicated.

You want to get DPST (or DPDT) switches for the three toggles. One pole goes to the high voltage series circuit, the other pole goes to the individual LED by the switch. Then there's a 4th light that only comes on when all 3 switches are thrown for the epic button.

Here's a schematic -

Attachments

• EPIC.GIF
    EPIC.GIF
    10.8 KB · Views: 103
alright thanks. love the name of the final switch too. very nice touch. i also like the extra light...possibly a blinking LED? i'll let you know as soon as i get the parts or if i have any questions before then...

oh and i'm not really sure why the diodes are necessary wiring the one side of the LEDs to the other.

Last edited:
The diodes are necessary because the PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) rating of the LED's are only a few volts. The 1N4004 conducts on the opposite half-cycle and limits the voltage.

Note that those are five watt resistors - don't use little quarter-watt resistors.

Unfortunately, a blinking LED probably won't work in that circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back