Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

first electronics project

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbenny

So I'm just getting into electronics, and as my first project, I want to make a switch box that will turn the "party lights" on in my basement. they will consist of various consumer light banks, strobes, black lights, and random other lights. I want to make a switch box that will make turning it all on EPIC.

So for the switch box, I was thinking of (on a hobby box) having three switches (here) and as they are switched, have them light up LEDs above them. then under that, have some sort of EPIC button that will turn it all on.

heres an image i threw together (sorry for the awful paint job, the actual image im working on in illustrator/photoshop isnt available currently)
**broken link removed**

in the image the three red boxes are the toggle switches, the blue circles are the LEDs that would be illuminated by each toggle, and the big red circle is the EPIC button.

so what i'm asking, from a logistics standpoint is: how do i do it?:confused:

like i said this is my first project, and i have no idea how to go about doing this. there will probably be high voltage running thru this, so that needs to be taken into consideration. possibly have this circuit activate a different circuit that handles the voltage of the lights? i dont even know if that's possible.

also, i need to know how to go about wiring the actual box. the lights need to be independant from one another and wired to each individual switch. then the epic switch shouldnt be able to work unless the three switches are all activated.

again, i have no idea what im doing, so explanations to everything would be fantastic.

thanks in advance,
superbenny

WTF is an "epic" switch?

from a logistics standpoint is: how do i do it?

You have the switches loaded on the truck from the retail distribution center, then they are put on a plane for overnight air to a local freight distribution center, then on a truck to your door.

WTF is an "epic" switch?

You have the switches loaded on the truck from the retail distribution center, then they are put on a plane for overnight air to a local freight distribution center, then on a truck to your door.

This has 3 switches.!
Programming the EPIC card

No problem. I'm not an expert on procurement, distribution, maintenance, and replacement of materiel and personnel, but if you have other logistics questions I will try to help.

Okay, what is the EPIC switch? What is "EPIC"? Is it an acronym for something?

If you want to explain that part it will be easier to give you some ideas.

Lame. You want an "epic" switch, how about the one in the middle of this -

**broken link removed**

Or one of these -

**broken link removed**

Just a little anti-climatic, don't you think. Usually when you push a button like that, things go Boom.
But if you must know, get three 3p-3t switches, rated for the voltage you want to run. One pole will operate the led, the next the "party light" and wire the third leg of all three in series to the "epic" switch, so all three need to be on before the "big one" is allowed to be actuated.

So.... you basically just want a panel of switches that will control line voltage lights?

One light per toggle switch and have them all come on with the "epic" switch?

Is that correct?

This isn't hard to do, but seeing as its your first electronics project, line voltage may not be a good place to start.

You don't state your location, but your line voltage is likely 120 volts or 240 volts, and either voltage is dangerous.

The other concern would be making sure all components in your switch box can handle the current (amps) the lights will draw. If any part - switch or wire - is too small, it could overheat and catch on fire.

You could make the panel low voltage and have your switches control a panel of relays that would in turn switch the lights, but you will still have to deal with line voltage.

The simplest way I can see doing it would be to get a large project box that you can mount your switches in, along with a standard outlet for each light. Use switches rated for your local AC line voltage.
If you are in the USA I can tell you how to connect the wires. If you are in another part of the world I can't be sure of myself.

Decide how much current all the lights will draw when on. Hopfully less then 10 or 15 amps. Add a circuit breaker or fuse inline with the main power cord to protect everything.

For the LEDs, just buy ready made LED or neon panel indicator lamps. Its easier then making loose LEDs run at line voltage.

Yea I'm in the US.

The relay idea sounds good so I don't have to worry about the current...I don't know this stuff very well...how much current do you think a fog machine, 4-light light bank, a mini strobe and two blacklights will draw? Probably more than 15 amps?

All of that, even with 100 watt bulbs probably won't top 5 amps.
But look on the back of the fog machine and tell us the current rating

Last edited:
Oh very nice. I dont have it yet, but its a 400w fog machine. Now that I'm thinking about it, that doesnt even need to be on the circuit...its not like it's instant turn on is all that epic.

Alright, that's above the 5 amp estimate I gave for everything but not bad maybe closer to 6 or 7 amps.

Have you decided on relays and neon indicator lights?

Each light is 60W, 120V, and there are four lights.

Thats not much current. About 2 amps. Is that all that will be switched with your box, or is this just one type of light you want to control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back