Firefox 3 failed opening simple webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

[Solved]Firefox 3 failed opening simple webpage

Hi,

Can any one confirm that FF3 can open the following SPICE model webpage. I tried several times and every time my FF3 stop responding. System is P3, Win2000 with 512M SRAM.

I have no trouble opening it using IE6.

**broken link removed**

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks BeeBop.

I have traced the problem down to a script run by an FF extension "Video downloadhelper" which I have recently installed.

Got it open here on my aging equipment but it was a struggle. That's a lot of links for one page, it could be grouped better and spread over three or four smaller pages.

PIII 551Mhz - 320MB RAM WinXp+Sp2
Firefox/3.0.1

I've just returned to Opera after a spell of trying out Firefox 3.0.1.

To make it useable I had to install a couple of extensions (speed dial and clipings). I don't know whether it was the extensions which were to blame but I found it far too slow, Opera is much faster.

Extensions are a nice idea but they can be temperamental and some can introduce security flaws so I'd rather have a browser that does everything I want rather than having to rely on a load of buggy extensions.

Thanks again for everyone.

That webpage now opens sucessfully, albeit with a few seconds struggle, after I have uninstalled the "Videodownload helper" extension.

@Hero999,

Yes, FF3 is a bit annoying, especially it does not highlight a "https://" address in yellow which I have grown used to. I have to install an extension to get this feature back.

Another annoyance is it does not allow me to open a link in a tab as default but replaces the existing webpage window instead. I was told I can "middle" click or press "Contrl" key while clicking to get that but I do not use a three button mouse.

Last edited:
My Pentium 4 opened the website with Internet Explorer 7 and with Firefox 3 with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…