Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fianal project help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sM1101011

Final project help

---------Parts List--------

2.2 kohm resistor (R1)

Eight 220 ohm resistors (R11–R14, R28–R31)

Eight 100 ohm resistors (R15–R18, R32–R35)

Two 10 kohm potentiometers (R7, R24)

Four 47 kohm resistors (R3, R4, R20, R21)

Two 100 kohm resistors (R5, R22)

Two 2 kohm resistors (R2, R19)

Two 5 kohm resistors (R6, R8, R23)

Two 1 kohm resistors (R9, R25, R26)

Two 220 kohm resistors (R10, R27)

0.001 microfarad ceramic capacitor (C3)

Two 0.1 microfarad ceramic capacitors (C1, C4)

Two 10 microfarad electrolytic capacitors (C2, C5)

Eight green size T-1 3/4 LEDs (LED1–LED8)

Eight red or orange size T-1 3/4 LEDs (LED9–LED16)

Two LM358 op amps (IC1 and IC2)

Electret microphone

Two 830-contact breadboards

One 4 AA battery pack with snap connector

Eleven 2-pin terminal blocks

Two knobs (for the potentiometer)

Eight 2N3904 transistors [Q1–Q8]

A wooden box

An assortment of different lengths of prestripped, short 22 AWG wire

Several feet of black 20 AWG wire

Several feet of red 20 AWG wire

I am currently in my second year and I have to do my final project. I wanted to do this specific topic because I found it interesting. The problem is that I have to simulate it before building it according to my lecturer. I am currently using Multisim Power pro edition.
I have attempted the simulation but I keep getting an error. This is because the IC that I am suppose to use is not available in Multisim

Schematic:
4shared.com - photo sharing - download image Untitled.png

Multisim simulation with IC LM385
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Dancing Lights.ms10

Please if you are using a different simulator can you check and see if it has the IC LM358 and state the name of the simulator if it contains the component. Thanks in advance for a favourable response.
If you have some other simulation in mind, comments, suggestions please post it up and thanks again. -_-

Last edited:
Multisim simulation with IC LM385
Did you use LM385? This would confuse Multisim. Your schematic uses LM358.

You might be able to run a useful simulation by replacing each section of the LM358 with a 741 op amp.

About the ICs
The text that i got the simulation and parts from made an error they stated to use the LM358 [From parts list] first and upon reaching lower in the text they stated that the two ICs were LM385 [Actually building the project]. I am still unsure which IC should have been used but i was able to find the LM358 IC in multisim so i used this but my simulation did not work. [not sure if was the wrong IC that i used or i connected it wrong]

By the way the 741 will not work because it has 7 pins whereas the LM358 has 5 pins. There are also 2 parts to the IC [1/2 IC1 & 1/2 IC1 in this case]

The LM385 is a voltage reference. It will not work in your project in place of an LM 358 dual op amp. Look at the datasheet here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/05/LM158.pdf
It includes the 358 version of that family of devices. If your sim does not work with the LM358, there is something very likely wrong with the layout you've done. I don't use multisim myself, but you must have some sort of error message. What looks like a sim capture I am unable to download from the site given, but the schematic is there.

Here is the datasheet for an LM385:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/05/LM185-25.pdf

Last edited:
both lousy 741s and 358s are 8-pinned, there are terminals you don't need to use, that's all. The connection should be according to the location of the op-amp terminals, not by the number of pins it have. like 358, they have two op-amps compared to the 741, which has only one.

By the way the 741 will not work because it has 7 pins whereas the LM358 has 5 pins. There are also 2 parts to the IC [1/2 IC1 & 1/2 IC1 in this case]
Did I say
replacing each section of the LM358 with a 741 op amp
Yes I did. :D You would do well to notice that there are two sections to the LM358, each of which is very similar to a 741. The extra pins on the 741 ("offset adjust") do not get connected.

The LM385 is a voltage reference chip and not the correct part. :eek: Assuming they intend you to use an op amp, the LM358 is the most likely choice. Since it is obsolete and has very poor performance it would be the obvious choice for an instructor who values these attributes. ;)

The circuit uses an LM358 dual opamp because the second opamp has a single supply and has its input biased at 0V where an LM358 works perfectly.
A 741 opamp won't work in this circuit because its input needs to be a minimum of +3V.

Can anyone tell me what i did wrong in this simulation because it is not working.

Original Schematic:
**broken link removed**

Multisim Schematic on paint:
**broken link removed**

I don't see any part numbers or resistor and capacitor values.
Maybe Multisim does not know about the LM358 dual opamp.

Your mic has only one wire and does not have a ground wire.
Maybe Multisim does not know the output level of your mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back